Author Topic: To Recurve or Not  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Piddler

To Recurve or Not
« on: August 14, 2022, 07:24:03 pm »
I have a 57" Osage stave that I will work soon. Have a couple questions before I get going on it. I've taken it down to 1 1/2" at the fades and tapered it to 1/2" at tips. I've cut in handle area to 1". It will bend in the handle somewhat so kind of semi bendy. It does have a couple wiggles.
First question. Should I put in some recurve to help with string angle. Last curves I made used up about 4 1/2" of wood. I could make some shorter curves I guess or just leave it straight limb.
Second question. It is 1 1/2 at the fades but I would like to reduce it to 1 1/4". Still taper to the tips. will probably reduce them some as well.
I could start the string groove at 1/2" instead of the 3/4" I've been doing if that will help a bit
Thanks
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Piddler

Re: To Recurve or Not
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 07:35:16 pm »
Photos are quite distorted for some reason. If better ones are needed just let me know.
Piddler

Offline Piddler

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 09:21:49 pm »
Forgot to add that I draw about 26" or a bit more. That is with a 1 1/8" handle depth. We can say 27 for a little slush room.
Piddler

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 02:08:12 am »
I would :) It will be stacky otherwise.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 07:52:42 pm »
Thanks Bownarra, Kind of what I was thinking. Any thoughts on narrowing down to 1 1/4 at fades then pretty much straight taper. I haven't attempted one this short and try for 50 lbs.
Piddler

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 03:46:20 pm »
Go for it dude!

Photos are quite distorted for some reason. If better ones are needed just let me know.
Piddler

also if you want it distorted, click the link under the photo and look at the downloaded photo. it distorts but i wonder why PA distorts the pictures... :OK
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 11:39:28 pm »
sometime the image is a little large, try again in smaller size,

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 11:13:53 am »
Definitely don’t narrow the width. You need that extra width for your draw weight given the working limb will be short with a rigid handle and recurves. The limbs will be thinner due to the tighter bend radius and you make up for that in the width.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 06:22:11 pm »
Deer Hunter yes when opening attachment its good.
Bradsmith I shrank the original a couple times just to get them to post. May try JPeg or something next time.
Ryan Y, Not much working limb with recurves for sure but it will bend in the handle quite a bit. I'll narrow the handle section to about 1" or so and keep thinning into the handle area. So semi bendy for sure. I'll add cork or leather to the handle for thickness if needed.
Thanks Fellas