Author Topic: Aboriginal Day  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Aboriginal Day
« on: June 22, 2022, 09:39:42 am »
Yesterday was aboriginal day here in Canada and the local Algonquin office in a nearby town always has a show and tell gathering on a point alongside the Ottawa river, this gathering is mainly for the school kids.  The kids are taken out of school and brought over by teachers and allowed to look and ask questions.  My wife being a member of these Algonquins was asked if I would like to show some bows, arrows and knapping.  We've been holed up for a couple years so we decided to take a chance and say yes. 

The first kids to show up after setting up were the grade school kids and they were full of questions and were very "handsy".  Fortunately my wife being a retired school teacher handled them fairly easily, me I'm a bit anti-social and was glaring at the kids  >:(  :).  Later on the high school kids started to come around.  They were a bit more confrontational with some of them doubting that the bows could even be used for hunting.  I told them that you could use any of these bows to hunt Deer, Bear or moose.  I had this bow with me http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,68497.0.html and one of them wanted to know if that was a real snakeskin.  I told them that it was in fact a rattlesnake skin.  Then I told them that in fact it would be really good for hunting Moose because with the snakeskin it would be camouflaged and any moose seeing the bow would just think "oh it's just a snake in the bush".  As soon as the words were out of my mouth I though....ooops.  I turned to my wife and said " I guess I shouldn't say things like that".  She turned to me and said "nope, probably shouldn't".  The teachers in the background didn't say anything but everybody moved on shortly after
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Aboriginal Day
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 09:57:52 am »
Cool Marc...Done that in the past here also with high school kids and town celebrations.
Would'nt worry about the " snake in the bush" comment.After all it's aboriginal day.Time to get to basics.Sooner or later they'll figure out what the spice in life is all about.I'm sure to most of them it flew right over their head anyway.
Nice bow too.
Did you ever save any pictures of moose shot by you with your bows?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:17:12 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 01:15:49 pm »
Great Marc !
I'm sure you lighted the spark of interest in them and hopefully someday it will turn into a good fire
You wont believe it but I have a piece of elder I want to turn in a bow as close as the one you showed if only I can deal with some straightening.
I was going to search through your posts to retrive the picture you just shoved in this very days!!
Sometimes the coincidence are so incredible that it seems magic

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 01:45:29 pm »
Some of those kids will want to make a bow someday!  The high school kids already know everything, so it may take them longer to realize it (lol)!  every  once in a while, I would make a faux pax when I was teaching Hunter Education, but most realized what we were teaching was hunting.  Now and then we would get a "smarty pants" at rendezvous and old timer days.  Congratulations!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 07:36:33 am »
That’s really good you and your wife did that Marc. I’m sure even those high schoolers had to deep down be impressed. They just are being busy acting like high schoolers.

I’ve done several presentation. I just did one last Saturday with my cousin. He was thinking the crowd was a little smaller than he anticipated. It was at a privately run Nature Center. 33 guests attended.

They were a very interested crowd and asked lots of good questions.

I told my cousin I would rather have a very interested group of 33. Than a uninterested crowd of a couple hundred.

I definitely have more fun with the smaller interested group

Bjrogg

PS I wish I could have been there to see your presentation.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 01:04:03 am »
In attentive parents and teachers are indeed a challenge to deal with. No matter how long you have been dealing with people,