Author Topic: Disregarding grain in a non-bending handle...  (Read 1461 times)

Offline organic_archer

Disregarding grain in a non-bending handle...
« on: July 28, 2022, 10:48:05 pm »
Hey all. I'm working a ruler-straight piece of osage that only has one abnormality -- a large knot right in the center of the handle.

I was wondering how many of you have laid out a bow in a similar way, ignoring a wiggle in the handle. I've done it a couple times over the years with no ill effects. For stiff handle flatbows, I use a 1.5" thickness so it's definitely not moving at full draw.

There’s room to move things around, so I’m debating between eliminating the wiggle or putting it in the fade. The true path of the grain is highlighted with dotted lines so the runout is more visible. The stave is otherwise straight as a board.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 12:28:20 am by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Maxwelliuston

Re: Disregarding grain in a non-bending handle...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 11:16:26 pm »
I've got nowhere near as many bows under my belt as you so I can't speak for whether or not either layout actually effects anything BUT I will say, I'll gladly take any fun wiggles a stave wants to give me.  Snakes through the handle will probably result in an idiosyncratic shooting experience and a unique object to hold but that will be up to you to either see as a bug or a feature.  The more character the better, I say

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 01:28:41 am »
Cut it out how you have it marked out. No problem. An offset handle wouldn't be a good thing on an otherwise straight stave. The last thing you want is a 'tourquey' grip.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 10:05:33 am »
I agree with Bownarra. I'd totally ignore that anomaly and cut it as you have laid it out. I would feel blessed indeed to have a stave that good.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 10:38:23 am »
I agree and especially in a non bending handle. Out on the working limbs would be a different story.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Piddler

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 06:57:55 pm »
Could you not go with the grain and make the arrow pass where it curved inwards. I did that with a knot on one worked out ok for me. Plan on doing the same to one I'm working on now. It will make one limb be designated for top limb though. If you go that route leave some wood for the arrow rest.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 11:01:58 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I was wondering about torque too, bownarra.

Max, I agree that it works out sometimes and makes for a cool shooting experience, but I’ve also had a few that ended up being awkward and uncomfortable with wiggles in the handle.

Piddler, this bow won’t have a shelf. Sometimes it works out to leave the handle wiggly, but I feel like it’s usually a gamble! When they don’t work out, they feel real funny.

Glad to hear some outside perspectives and approaches. I searched the archives and didn’t find anything discussing this topic specifically.

Edited grammar errors  (W
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 09:22:50 am by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 11:27:06 pm »
You're good to go, bro!

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 08:49:03 am »
Imho it does not matter at all in the handle section. I often try to move difficult areas into the non bending sections. In this case wirh following the grain it might be possible to get closer to centershot by following the grain tough....depends on left/right orientation of the bow. Z-handles dont torque imho. Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 09:53:13 am »
The layout looks good.

I just prefer to leave the handle wide until at least the first stringing to better track the string.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 06:54:18 pm »
Man we all agree. What’s in the air? It looks good to go to me also.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 09:08:36 pm »
Cut it out how you have it marked out. No problem. An offset handle wouldn't be a good thing on an otherwise straight stave. The last thing you want is a 'tourquey' grip.

Ditto

That area is stiff it isn’t bending so it doesn’t have to follow the bending areas rules. Unless the grain in a stiff handle actually goes where I want it to I almost always violate it

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise