Author Topic: Elm ELB  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Calios

Elm ELB
« on: July 13, 2022, 01:48:51 pm »
Hi everyone, i have been working on a challenging and knotty piece of elm recently but i'm a bit puzzled
on how to proceed with the project. The stave measures 65 inches (unfortunately the top part was damaged so i had
to remove a section but sticked to the elb design anyway) and was aiming for 45# at 27/28. The bow is naturally
reflexed, (top limb around 4.5 inches of reflex,bottom limb around 2.8 inches) and presents 9 knots all along
the back, not distributed symmetricaly. One knot located towards the final part of lower limb had some blackish material
that i managed to dig and remove along with the actual knot inside. I am still in a early stage of tillering,
but unsure on how to continue. Would you suggest to plug the knot hole before carrying on with tillering?
Or maybe correct the asymmetrical reflex first if necessary? I would really appriciate some support on the
tillering part as i have never tillered such a high reflexed piece. Thank you all in advance.

Offline Calios

Re: Elm ELB
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 01:51:02 pm »
Here's some tillering pictures, the stave seems to have got some set during the early tillering, the lower limb went from 2.8 inches of reflex to 2.4

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 02:49:10 pm »
Always better to get the outer limbs to break over on the floor.Imho.Bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 04:22:15 am »
Yes it is bending far too much in the middle. ELB's should have a pronounced elliptical tiller. Virtually no bend in the handle, bend gradually increasing as you work along the limb towards the tips. Personally I would reduce the reflex to 1" per limb.

Offline Calios

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 05:41:29 pm »
Hey there, I've been struggling to correct the reflex lately but didn't manage to get lower than 4'' for top limb and 2'' for the bottom limb by using steam. i was thinking about using dry heat but i dont have a heatgun unfortunately. Would you even suggest to get one? If so, what kind of characterists should i look for to be suitable and be satisfied about quality? thanks again

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 01:48:23 am »
Any cheap heat gun will work. Of course a bed of coal;s will also work if you are stuck. you will also need to make some sort of form to do the bending on.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 10:27:58 am »
I like a heat lamp. I used to use a 100W light bulb when they were incandescent.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine