Author Topic: Won a set of training wheels  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Won a set of training wheels
« on: June 07, 2022, 05:54:48 pm »
Yup, won a brand new Matthews compound "bow" in the raffle of a local 3D shoot.  I generally don't win anything that is worth the price of raffle tickets.

It was pretty funny when the guy doing the raffle said "you're the most trad guy I know!"

I kinda want to shoot it just once, to see what it's all about, but I can't even pull it and it doesn't have any of the fancy accessories needed.

Figured I'd sell it but so far I've only had a couple of lowball offers and I'm not sure I have the patience to play the long game.  So might take it back to the archery shop and see if I can get store credit (but they don't have much of what I could use either ::))
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Won a set of training wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 06:30:49 pm »
If they know you got it for practically nothing they won't offer you much.Human nature.
A stranger not knowing the history of it might offer you more.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 07:20:31 pm »
Well, Ed,  I'm stubborn enough that I'll hang it on the wall or donate it before I'll accept the insult of a low ball offer.  A few significant events have really changed my outlook on life and lowered my threshold for BS.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 09:36:45 pm »
Fact is, when sheet hits the fan, I want a compound. they do what they do exceedingly well. It's good to keep one around well tuned. If you can't pull it, see a out trading it straight across for one you can and fits you well. Even if it's it's down grade, if what you got you can't shoot, it's worthless to you.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 11:08:17 pm »
I get your meaning,  Sleek, but too many cons and not enough pros on these mechanical arrow flingers for SHTF in my opinion.

Got a bow press?  Can you make your own cables and strings?  What happens when you run out of carbon shafts?  Or lose the little Allen wrench you need to adjust your bow thingy widget? 

With how expensive arrows and broadheads are in the compound world...and how expendable...I could stock quite a few pounds of black powder for my flintlock and still be shooting long after those arrows are splinters.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 07:39:17 am »
Personally I'm starting to just go to traditional shoots only.I've won items like knives etc. at these state shoots before.The other stuff they have I have no use for.

Our group I used to shoot with always had at least 1 compound shooter in the group.We got along fine.They just shot at longer distances.
The state DNR describes them as a bow.They sell more deer and turkey tags and business's are all for it too.It's all about the money.They want you dependent on them.

More deer have been mortally wounded and never found because of the longer shots taken at deer and other big game than with ethical patient shooters waiting for the shot to get right.

Instant crack shot.Even boys under 10 can be.Sitting in a blind like their sitting on the couch watching TV.Cameras telling them when to sit.
All things that take a hunters' skills away from them.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 07:51:03 am »
I probably would just donate it back to the 3-d to have them raffle it again. I would have no use for it and would rather give it back or give it to someone else I would like to have it than deal with selling it for next to nothing and putting up with the hassle.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t sell it or get something for it, but I’ve just come to the point I enjoy giving stuff to people I really like and feel they appreciate it, than trying to deal with selling stuff. I’m just not a good salesperson.

Good luck

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 09:43:28 am »
I have reached a point in life where I don't deal with money on archery things or other stuff I don't use and don't need. I usually get together all my excess archery/hunting stuff and donate it to the Trad Gang St Jude Auction every year.

I do sell a lot of closet clean out stuff on the Facebook Market place but I price stuff at a giveaway price. I get swamped with buyers at these prices, If I offered the items for free I am sure the sharks out there would pick up the items and would quickly resell them. I do offer what I consider junk items for free, I could probably get a little money for these items but I just want some one to carry them off, in 100% of these junk  item listings someone will pick them up.

Sometimes I can transfer an item to someone who really needs it and it makes me feel good in a way that a few dollars in my pocket wouldn't.

I found a brand new fold up roll away twin bed in my late wife's closet, I looked up it's value and found it to be $125, I put it on the marketplace for $10.  A lady contacted me but her husband missed the pickup information and didn't meet me. Ordinarily I would go on down the list, the lady apologized and offered me more money if I would give her another chance, I told her a deal was a deal and $10 it was, she made sure her husband made the pick-up the next time. After the sale the lady contacted me and said she had a grandchild that stayed with her but he had to sleep on the floor because they couldn't afford a bed for him.

On the wheel bow you have a lot of options, when I was your age it would have been sold in a heartbeat and I would buy trad gear with the proceeds. I did exactly this with my decked out almost new wheel bow in 89 when I went back to my traditional roots never to leave again.

A charity donation is an option but that option is more for us old guys who have enough "stuff" and don't want any more.

I have been at a lot of trad tournaments where someone would win a raffle prize bow, turnaround and start an auction for the bow and donate the auction proceeds to the clubs charity which in our case was the Alabama Children's Hospital. Now that kind of gesture warmed everyone in the crowds heart.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 09:51:21 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 01:31:40 am »
I guess my attitude is about to catch up to you guys sooner rather than later.

Since posting, I've delt with a couple of guys and I'm not pleased with how it worked out.  I'm about sick of dealing with it already so I've pretty much made up my mind to take it back to the archery shop and just take the store credit.  I'm headed down to Albuquerque tomorrow anyway for my wife's infusion so might as well take advantage of the spent fuel. 
-Homer Simpson-