Author Topic: Elm  (Read 4072 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: Elm
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2022, 09:51:29 pm »
I believe or trust in your evaluation of your elm there with you having worked the other woods locally also.That's definitely an elm leaf.
That ought to be some top notch stuff.You've got a treasure house around you up there I'd say.I do have osage,black locust,and hickory here.Feel forunate for that.I feel my larder is full for a while now.
Ai'nt it a breeze the way the bark comes off?Sure saves a lot of time and labor.I did drawknife a couple of the sapling staves after splitting them resawing.I have plans for some of that innerbark flemish twisted into a cord for a wrap handle.

I see many elm here and many that are dead.I keep an eye out too for mushrooms around and on those dead ones.I believe those are mostly red,with the occasional american and chinese.Some grow huge here before succumbing to the disease.I cut em up and throw them into the stove.

Being retired now I've got other priorities to fullfill now.The garden/winterwood/brain tanning to name a few.I like to keep the farming land free of volunteer trees and weeds.Do a little fishing too.As Pappy would say....Life is good.

Ah. That’s cool Ed.  I heard about that bark for cordage.  Haven’t seen it done but if like anything else you just gotta do I guess.  I may try it!   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2022, 02:29:18 pm »
Trees are funny many times within their own species.
I know my same type hickory here one will have more heartwood than another with the same circumference.The heartwood in this rock elm when split was colored like red cedar.
Red elms' heartwood here is usually always a light brown.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline superdav95

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2022, 11:15:04 pm »
Yes I’ve noticed this too here with our hickory.  I actually like a little heart wood incorporated into the handle as a cool look. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2022, 09:21:57 am »
More or less heartwood does not seem to make a difference in the making of bows in the hickory here.
Could be the same routine with hard elms also.Although this type elm does not have much heartwood at all.Mostly all sapwood.Red elm has a lot more heartwood and more early wood in it.
I know from making split heartwood arrow shafts and sapwood arrow shafts from hickory there was no difference in the spine and mass.
All wood was air dried and acclimated at the same humidity of course.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 11:29:59 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed