Author Topic: Giant knot hole Osage bow stave  (Read 1300 times)

Offline bassman211

Giant knot hole Osage bow stave
« on: April 28, 2022, 07:17:18 am »
I have a stave at 14.5 moisture content nearly floor tillered. I am drying it with warm moving  air. One limb split narrow, so I rounded the belly like an ELB to maintain more strength in that limb, and narrowed the other limb to match. The over length of the stave is 73 inches. I have a good idea how to proceed with the stave, but input from others can be helpful. This is another first for me, so for those of you who have made this style of bow what was ,or is your recipe for a nice shooting well balanced bow.

Offline bassman211

Re: Giant knot hole Osage bow stave
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 08:52:30 am »
132 hits, and no replies. Some body on here must have built a hole in the limb Osage bow at one time or another.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 09:33:07 am »
How bout a pic? Plenty of them built before. Leave a good amount of wood around the hole following the grain. Depending on the size and shape it may or may not bend much. Definitely need pictures to help.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 10:13:10 am »
Yes leave enough wood on both sides of the knot to match limb thickness. I hope you still can.

Then when tillering leave the knotted area slightly stiffer than the rest of the limb.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 11:26:26 am »
Sounds like an interesting build.How big is this hole?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simk

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 12:06:56 pm »
This is not a giant, but this is how I handle them.  :)
--- the queen rules ----

Offline bassman211

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 03:13:20 pm »
I left plenty of wood on both sides Jawge, and plenty of limb wood yet. Can't post pics. Ryan. Thanks for the the pics. simk.  Nice job. The hole is 1 1/4  inches on the back to a 35 degree angle towards the belly  side. Belly hole is 1 1/2 inches long by a little over an inch wide. Thanks for your help guys. I am shaving it down a little at time while it is drying, so I am OK so far. Their are some  longish limb cracks, but none run off the limbs.