Author Topic: Find another piece of wood  (Read 2513 times)

gutpile

Re: Find another piece of wood
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 03:32:55 pm »
man that is a bummer.. lot of work for nada.. it does look like there is a violation above and below though still..  I see the swirl on the grain swirls right on edge but doesn't go off.. wonder if you got that spot down on one ring if it still swirled that much..it is gonna snake no matter what though..but still doesn't run off edge.. sinew wouldn't be the fix ?.. I never worked one with that much snake though.. mine was snaky but this is politician snakey .. gut

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 04:46:23 pm »
The thing about a more extreme snaky stave for a bow is you've got to cut your stave wide enough to accomodate the widths of your limbs.Then cut out your top view profile following the grain.
Their lies the problem with this one as the sharp bend does'nt  have enough wood to account for limb width.Even if it did the 90 degree yahhh the grain does makes it unbendable without breaking in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:00:47 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 07:42:52 pm »
   Ed did you finish chasing a ring in that spot. It kind of looks to me that it will have a big dip at that point?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2022, 05:11:15 am »
It's a funny looking place where I'm at chasing the ring in the picture.Looks like another ring coming but no early wood.When I saw that 90 degree bend it stopped me in my tracks.
It's back onto the shelf of shame again with it.
I've moved onto another piece of wood that has a better chance of being a bow.Ironwood is the lucky candidate this time.This one is a little straighter....ha ha.I will try to chase after a proverbial goal with it though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed