Author Topic: What about ”Web Competitions”?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Lehtis

What about ”Web Competitions”?
« on: April 16, 2022, 03:38:40 pm »
Any sense to start a new thread to share excercise (and local competition) results and arrange web competitions? The only ”competitive” chain is the BOM in which we rank bows we make but nothing in which to show and compare our skills in shooting. Insteadt of modern target shooting I’m thinking American Round and, perhaps, York Round also. These are classic rounds shot well before modern fiber bows and it would be nice to continue that tradition with the bows and arrows we make. Actually, in Finland we have a bunch of primitive archers who have gathered together to shoot AR once a year a couple of decades now. York Round we have shot once but more to come. In winter time suitable formats indoors would be IFAA’s 60 and 120 arrows from 20 yards and Flint also. You may have some other formats or rounds to suggest. It might be fun to ”compete” internationally this way while corona has freezed many things. Wht do you think?

Offline Lehtis

Re: What about ”Web Competitions”?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 01:04:46 am »
Looks like most of us here are too modest or competition shy to publish own shooting skills… so, case closed from my side also.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 04:31:14 pm »
I mean, i would totally be down if others are... it would honestly depend on how we go about doing it.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 04:38:04 pm »
Not sure how much competition I would be.

But sounds interesting.

I guess you would have to describe the actual contests in more detail for me. I really don’t know what they are by name.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 01:36:35 am »
Mr. Google knows both American and York rounds… Both shot on standard 122 FITA (World Archery) Target and Imperial scoring: Yellow 9, Red 7, Blue 5, Black 3 and White 1.

American shot from 60, 50 & 40 yards in that order. 30 arrows from each in sets of 6. Historically you should shoot each 6 set by shooting first 3 arrows, step away from the line for a short break and then shoot another 3 arrows but most skip this today.

York Round is real manhood test: 12 x 6 arrows from 100 yards, 8 x 6 from 80 yards and 6 x 6 from 60 yards.

I don’t go through those indoor games now because it’s summer time and outdoor season coming.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:41:00 am by Lehtis »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 01:33:37 pm »
I've never been into those long shooting comps.  I don't have the attention span to shoot dozens of arrows from a fixed position.  I enjoy the 3d comps where you get one shot per target.  More like the real world.  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 02:37:21 pm »
I’m still mostly shooting indoors.

Bjrogg

PS that way further than my usual shooting range, but I’d probably give it a go. I don’t have that many arrows though. I’m usually a one arrow shooter. And pretty close range.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise