Author Topic: Timing with harvesting whitewoods - question  (Read 998 times)

Offline rcoen2

Timing with harvesting whitewoods - question
« on: April 13, 2022, 01:07:28 am »
Leading up to now I've only harvested my wood in the winter when the sap wasn't running and so the bark didn't come off well, leading me to end up chasing rings on all the staves I've worked so far.

Moving forward I'm excited to do much more of my whitewood harvesting when the bark comes off easily, to avoid having to chase a ring every time, and so I'm getting ready to harvest some wood soon.

My question has to do with best timing for harvesting whitewoods.  I'm in the willamette valley of Oregon, and the sap is just getting going with most tree species in this area.  So my question is, can I harvest pretty soon, early in the summer, like late April or May, or is it better to wait until say June/July.  (I'm mostly asking about Oregon ash here)

My concern is that if I harvest too early perhaps outer growth ring will be too thin because it hasn't had the growing season to develop more. I don't actually know if this is a valid concern or not, so I'm oping someone here has more education and experience around this.

Thanks,
Ryder

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Timing with harvesting whitewoods - question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 03:57:51 am »
I like to harvest just when the leaves are beginning to emerge on my trees.Popping the bark off then.No concern about outer growth ring.It was formed  last summer and fall.Tree is just coming out of dormancy in the spring.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 05:34:35 am »
Either way will work, if you harvest early it will have a thin layer of goop which is the summer growth starting ,that will need to be scrapped off when the bark is removed and a little harder to get dry, so be sure to keep it out of the hot sun until the outer dries good, i have started doing it later in the summer, here in Tennessee in late July early August seems to be best for me, the bark still comes off very easy and easier to get the outer dry. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 10:09:45 am »
I like to harvest whitewood after the leaves have come out in the spring. As the growing season begins the tree starts putting down the early wood for this year.  At that time the bark will "slip" and can be removed relatively easily so anytime during the growing season is when the bark slips.
 On a tree, woody shrubs too, the only live part of the plant is the cambium layer, just under the bark and the buds at the tips of the branches. Everything else, the bark and the wood is "dead". The bark protects the tree and the wood it the skeleton or structure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 12:53:30 pm »
I try to cut them in late summer. Bark slips off easy and the pristine whole summer growth of late wood is there for the bow's back. I don't want early wood on the back of my bow or want to remove it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 06:31:34 am »
I mostly harvest hickory this way.Shagbark to be exact.It's bark is almost as hard as the wood.Harder than most other trees' bark I would say.Around 3/16"-1/4" thick.
It's the reason why letting the bark on that dry on can be some work to remove.
Ash might not be quite as bad.More corky I would say.
I've not experienced any late wood removal needed after popping the bark off in the spring myself.Pop it off and there's the back of the bow.The moisture or slime that is there after removing dries up fairly quick and does not bother me.
I then shellack the back/ends and set it off for storage.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 08:51:05 am »
I'm like you Ryder, I harvested my first shagbark this past January and I beat the crap out of me debarking that bugger.  I'm looking forward to taking one in the spring, turkey season is right around the corner so I will be looking for my next target while looking for longbeards with the flintlock.  I didn't know that you should protect the back, thought it was just the ends, good to know going forward.