Author Topic: Any thoughts on rattan?  (Read 974 times)

Offline Calios

Any thoughts on rattan?
« on: April 08, 2022, 09:52:52 am »
I have been thinking about trying to use rattan to make a bow as I could have a chance to get it... what do you think? Is it a good bow material? Easy or difficult to work with?

Offline Parnell

Re: Any thoughts on rattan?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 10:02:10 am »
I've seen guys make bows from it on here, over the years.  My understanding is that its very easy to work, bend and make a bow from.  I think it maxes out with bows in the 40# range, though.  Never used it, myself.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 10:20:59 am »
I agree with Steve. A few years ago there were quite a few folks making bows with rattan but mostly kids bows. I think it was at MoJam a while back that lots of these bows were made. There should be lots of info on YouTube. I made one rattan bow but it took lots of set and wasn't very strong. I think that was mostly me because I've seen some nice rattan bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 03:04:17 pm »
I've seen guys make bows from it on here, over the years.  My understanding is that its very easy to work, bend and make a bow from.  I think it maxes out with bows in the 40# range, though.  Never used it, myself.

Mike Stocklin in Faith, SD has built sinew backed rattan bows that draw in excess of 70 lbs.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 08:41:20 am »
If I remember right at Mojam they tillered the backs  of the rattan bows instead of the belly.