Author Topic: Legolas Bow possible?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline RunningWolf

Legolas Bow possible?
« on: April 15, 2022, 04:16:24 pm »
I've always been fascinated with this bow design.  The picture here shows a picture of the prop that they use for Legolas' bow in Peter Jackson's movies.  I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at because I've never built an English longbow style bow.  My understanding of them is that they still have to be backed with a single growth ring, but that they have a deeper belly that gives them a round shape.  I've also heard that some woods don't work very well for ELB style bows (like hickory because of poor compression) and you should try for woods like yew or eastern cedar (with some kind of backing for cedar).  Does that sound right? 

I'm still trying to figure out the basics on the ELB bow, but my real question about the Legolas bow is how to get the recurves into it.  Can you even recurve a bow with a deep belly?  I don't think I've ever seen a real English longbow with recurves other than this one.  From what I've heard, the bow used in the films was made of rubber.  I'm just wondering if it's even possible to make a bow to the specks of the movie that looks close to the prop and still performs the way we would hope for an Elvish ELB style war bow.  I've always wanted to make one, and I would be thrilled if I could figure out a way to use hickory to make a bow of the right shape of about 72 inches long, an inch and a half wide at the center that draws about 75# at 28 inches.  Has anyone out there ever tried to make an English longbow with recurves?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Legolas Bow possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 04:36:08 pm »
Plenty of bowyers have put some recurve or deflex reflex into ELB style bows, but it then ceases to be an ELB which is generally pretty straight!
It's really down to draw weight/draw length/ bow length and type of wood.
75# @28" from a 72" Yew ELB is no problem, steaming in a bit of deflex/reflex wouldn't be a problem especially if the amount of deflex at the grip was equal to the refelex at the tips. (E.G tips and middle line up when the bow is unstrung)
One of my current staves happens to have some natural deflex reflex, but it could be steamed into a straight stave.
My personal preference would be to keep it simple and learn how to tiller an ELB first... you can then steam in exotic bends if you wish!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RunningWolf

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 04:48:21 pm »
Is there any way to make an ELB out of something besides yew?  I could get a stave, but they ship from Canada and I live in Texas.  The price on those things is about $150 and then they charge another $70 for shipping.  The staves I have on hand are hackberry, Osage, and hickory.  Do you think any variation of those is strong enough on compression for a deep belly bow?  I wondered if I could try a fire hardened hickory ELB to temper the belly for better compression.  Do you think that could work?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 05:53:09 pm »
 Learn how to make an elb first, like Del said.You will probably have issues with the recurves twisting, because of the narrow width and crowned belly.

They have been made before, notably by English bowyer, Chris Boyton. He used laminations of hickory(back), and lemonwood(belly). You could also use a proven hardwood like ipe, or massaranduba(bulletwood-beefwood) as alternative belly woods.
 Last I heard Chris stopped making bows because of health issues. I hope he is doing well. One hell of a talented bowyer. I own two bows that he made.

It is feasible to make from  split stave, that has been steam bent.

Fire hardening a stave that has been heat bent into shape is tricky. If you don't use a very well made/sophisticated form, the stave will want to return to its original position, and you will probably develop issues.

I also don't know how experienced you are as an archer, but if you can't already draw a 75lbs bow it will be too much for a beginner. Even if you can draw a 75lbs compound bow, a normal bow of the same draw weight will feel harder to draw.

Osage would be the best wood of the one's you listed, for a split stave selfbow.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 06:37:23 pm »
Looks to me like a round or oval cross section, with a bit of reflex.  The recurves seem to be mostly put on with the metal tip overlays.  I assume the elves have some sort of super strong, amazingly light metal for that sort of thing.  'Cause they're elves and all.  Us mortals have to steam the curves into the ends.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline RunningWolf

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 07:13:12 pm »
Thanks Hamish, I'll see what I can do once the Osage cures.  Also, I know for sure I can't draw a 75# bow.  It just seems like it needs to be a war bow.  I may not end up actually making it like that, I'm really just trying to figure out if it's even possible at this phase.  Maybe I'll eventually break down and get some real yew so I can have something better to work with.  I may go for a lower draw weight too.  I can pull by the 45# bows that I made so far, but I doubt I could go much above 50# without more practice.

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 02:36:00 am »
Its 'possible' but don't try to copy that picture exactly - it is a fantasy 'bow'.
no problem to make a d section very mildly recurved bow.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 09:35:20 am »
I'd say the shape is more similar to an egyptian style bow than an ELB with the deflexed handle. Rattan would be a good choice with its elasticity but draw weight would be low. The bow in the movie looks quite short, definitely less than 72". You would have the best luck with an elastic wood and sinew backing for a short heavy bow. Hickory wouldn't do well with a rounded cross section but you could try and at least get close with the shape for some experience.

Actually, you should look at some of Marc St Louis' deflex recurves. Very similar shape and can definitely achieve decent draw weights. Not a beginner bow design by any means though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 09:39:07 am by RyanY »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 09:58:33 am »
I've always been fascinated with this bow design.  The picture here shows a picture of the prop that they use for Legolas' bow in Peter Jackson's movies.  I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at because I've never built an English longbow style bow.  My understanding of them is that they still have to be backed with a single growth ring, but that they have a deeper belly that gives them a round shape.  I've also heard that some woods don't work very well for ELB style bows (like hickory because of poor compression) and you should try for woods like yew or eastern cedar (with some kind of backing for cedar).  Does that sound right? 

I'm still trying to figure out the basics on the ELB bow, but my real question about the Legolas bow is how to get the recurves into it.  Can you even recurve a bow with a deep belly?  I don't think I've ever seen a real English longbow with recurves other than this one.  From what I've heard, the bow used in the films was made of rubber.  I'm just wondering if it's even possible to make a bow to the specks of the movie that looks close to the prop and still performs the way we would hope for an Elvish ELB style war bow.  I've always wanted to make one, and I would be thrilled if I could figure out a way to use hickory to make a bow of the right shape of about 72 inches long, an inch and a half wide at the center that draws about 75# at 28 inches.  Has anyone out there ever tried to make an English longbow with recurves?

Made one of those many years ago for a guy south of the border, he wanted to hunt pigs with it.  Turned out OK
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com