Author Topic: a 100% useless bow  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: a 100% useless bow
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2022, 07:03:15 am »
To heavy for me but great looking bow!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2022, 01:14:43 pm »
Great tiller. Is that a crack I see by the nock? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2022, 08:27:01 pm »
Nice bow!  however, I am with Allyn and Bassman, a bit heavy for my ld shoulder!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline simk

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2022, 04:28:57 am »
Thanx fellas!

This bow has been on the bucket list now for a while. Intention was to finally leave the 50# comfort zone and see what my yew and my epoxy can do. Both once again and definitly convinced me of their qualities. Sad thing is, If you are not able to personally shoot in a bow the build somehow is not complete; a few very important informationes still missed without that. I'd love to shoot at least a few test arrows with it....but don't think this will happen...I'm not really keen on a tennis arm and my training discipline always gets low again after day two...
this stave had a few cracks towards one tip that were filled with thin expoxy George. I do trust the epoxy 100% but still don't think this bow can be shot safely at a 33" draw - its too short - I would trust it up to 30". 99# @ 30" of draw was the original plan for this bow - I wanted to stay below 100# because I had switched a sapwood-ring in the grip. when I then hit these marks I found the tiller could be improved a little...and with optimized tiller I found it should be able to a longer draw (especially after a friend had told me a real warbow had a 32" draw). Then some devil rid me and I pulled it to 33" >:D  - A thrill and and cool experiment this was  :) Next one will be a litte longer and of course stronger.
Ed: This arrow is 34" long and 10mm thick maple - It once was gifted to me and and it usually serves me as a wallhanger.
Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2022, 05:19:17 am »
I'm happy to see too that the digital poundage tester used lived up to it's name saying it would register up to 110 pounds......ha ha.I've got the same type poundage tester.
Back when I was younger I could pull a bow to 85#'s but no more.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2022, 02:21:34 pm »
I think I might pull it with my feet,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D