Author Topic: hanging dial scales?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

hanging dial scales?
« on: March 24, 2022, 06:50:48 pm »
I am looking for input on what brand/model number dial scale you guys might be using!  Currently, I have a somewhat inexpensive digital china made that seems to not be totally accurate.  Looking on line, I find them up to over $300, I am more into the $50-$100 range.  I would like one that will set the weight.  Will try to work a trade as well.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mmattockx

Re: hanging dial scales?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 11:15:40 pm »
I use a luggage scale. It isn't super fancy, but has a tell needle that holds the peak load and lets you watch the sweep of the needle, which helps prevent over drawing when exercising the limbs after material removal.

Mark

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 11:10:09 am »
Here’s what I switched to last fall. I had been using a 200# dial scale from Menards. But I changed my vertical tiller tree to a horizontal tillering plane and needed a smaller scale. This one is a little smaller and reads up to 110#. It doesn’t have any needle that holds peak weight but it is only $25. I found it on Amazon, I think it says it’s pit bull brand and seems to be accurate. At least accurate enough for my needs.

Kyle

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 12:15:26 pm »
I use the same one as coon catcher.  Works good for me.
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline txdm

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 01:58:44 pm »
I prefer dial style luggage scale (no batteries to worry about) and it is one of those few things that I just buy cheap/chinese... because every once in a while a bow blows up and destroys the scale with it.

With that said, there used to be a US-made bow weight scale that is more like a fish weight scale that looked pretty durable. I think user rowanbows has one.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 03:21:50 pm »
Holding the peak weight seems like a pretty nice feature - I will have to check one of those scales out.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 07:35:17 pm »
Off to Menards, Jax,  and other similar stores, all of which are in Cheyenne, or further!  The sort of cheap digital is rather inconsistent - took 4 readings, got 39.1, 41.2, 39.8, and 40.2; so I said close enough and called it 40#.  Doing the fancy work now on the handle arrow rests and passes, and string making.  Thanks for the input.  Any one else can also weigh in.  BTW, the bow is flat style 63" ntn, shagbark hickory that MO Coon Cather gifted me.  I plan to do a rawhide wrap to aid some support in case of blow up! :BB (lol)
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 11:36:41 am »
I use the Hanson Hand Held Scale. I hold it in my hand attached to the pull rope and the weight registers and stays so I can read it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Will B

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 09:43:58 pm »
Here is what I use. I’ve had a couple bows blow up and the scale hit the ground hard and it is still working great.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 04:00:52 am »
Mine is the same as coon_catcher. I painted over the Kg scale to avoid confusion, and made a peak hold needle for it.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2019/09/bow-scale-peak-hold.html.
If a bow breaks on the tillerand the scale crashes to the floor it can shift the needle out of position, but it's easy enough to take apart and re-position the needle.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 06:22:57 am »
I'll vouch for that when the digital hits the ground too hard it can throw things off in there permanently.Choices are either buying another digital or buying an analog one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 07:14:55 pm »
This one has bounced more than once!  I should do a test with a known dead weight, but I will be in Cheyenne tomorrow shopping for a dial model among other things!
Hawkdaner
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 06:22:35 pm »
If a bow breaks on the tiller and the scale crashes to the floor

hang the bow below the scale?