Author Topic: Good old White Ash - D/R - 62 1/2" ntn - 49# @ 28"  (Read 2391 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Good old White Ash - D/R - 62 1/2" ntn - 49# @ 28"
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 03:17:07 pm »
That's a beauty!  I've been wanting to build a bow with a very similar design, but I'm told that a recurve with narrow tips like that is going to give you stability problems.  Do you find that to be true, and if so how to you get around it??
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 04:36:24 pm »
Fine lookin bow all around, nice work
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline rps3

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 12:09:46 pm »
Looking good. I echo what BowEd said about our ash being devastated. I still have about 8-10 bows worth of ash stave's around and will spread them out so they last a few years.

Offline diliviu

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 04:17:11 pm »
Gorgeous recurve in every way!

Offline simk

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 04:38:19 pm »
thank you all  :D
BowEd: take use of these backings then some time - they work great - I did somewhere 10-20 bows with these backings while none fail, a few far from being perfect. I feel they are some a lot softer and stretchier than boo, make a smooth draw and do not overpower a belly. Would like to know how far they can be really pushed...will have to sacrifice a bow maybe for this test.
Glisglis: I know perfection can't be achieved; but thinking about is is a good motivation. making a bow for me always is like a daydream about the perfect bow; when I wake up there's a bow...usually better than the last one but...not perfect  :)
rps3: our ash is actually devasteted by a specific fungus, not yet sure if they are all gonna die - but maybe should fill up my reserves - they are cutting the sick trees everywhere right now...their outer rings are all thin and poor before the sound wood starts... :) and after all the elms went with their borer I'm just glad we still have a good amount of yew around here. yesterday was yew spotting... next days will cut some - hard exciting workout - they like them shady gullys and they are like easter eggs...how are the rings?...how thick the sap...?...you never know before  :) 

ps Mark: limbs are exactly 1" where the red wrapping is...
ps whistling badger: I don't think slim recurves could bring you in trouble but slim working limbs towrads the outers; they of course  tend to twist easier. 1" at the base of the tips like this one has usually should't be a problem on a hunting weight bow. it really gets tricky with 3/4". basically its only a matter of tip alignement...slim limbs/long recurves/higher drawweight makes it more tricky and usually needs more tweaking.
cheers
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 05:02:46 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Rowan Bows

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 06:38:58 pm »
Nice bow Simk, thats something different with the stain job. Handle colors also contrast very good to that and I like the details with the leatherwork! I totally agree with Heat treating ash she really likes it.
Ive tuned a 10 year old bow from one of my best friends whos very experienced in competitions, Matthias Gering, he was once german campion with this bow. It had once 60lbs now ~50# and set like a fishing rod catching a catfish. I filled compression cracks and gave it a reflex HT with linseed oil - 60lbs still after 500 arrows and of course much lighter. ash likes it. But just like you did here I like to HT ash while building. I do it when Im on brace heigh
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 06:42:15 pm by Rowan Bows »

Online superdav95

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2022, 07:03:16 pm »

Curious though.  This iron chloride stain… would it be the same stuff I make to etch my blade perhaps???  Ferric chloride?

Iron acetate

Thanks Allyn.  Is it simple to make?  Just vinegar and steel wool? 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Will B

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2022, 08:12:04 pm »
Beautiful recurve!  Really nice bend on that one. Great job!