Author Topic: Something died  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Something died
« on: March 16, 2022, 06:51:33 pm »
I was looking out the kitchen window and saw this red stain in the snow.  It wasn't there this morning as I went by there with my snow machine while hauling firewood.  Whatever it was had to have been large enough and it was not a bird since there were no feathers in the snow

Now looking around my wife noticed some dried blood on the shrubs above the blood in the snow so whatever it was had to have flown up into the tree which means Raptor. 

There are a lot of Red Squirrels hanging around because of the bird feeder and they are suspiciously absent in the area right now but I saw my first Chipmunk of the winter so it could be him as well.  Oh well, somebody had a good feed
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Something died
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 07:01:30 pm »
It was so foggy by the lake here this morning that I got right next to a red fox before he saw me. He had  a bird in his mouth.

I’m guessing the bird didn’t see him till he was right next to him either.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 01:03:54 pm »
Saw a bald eagle snatch a squirrel feeding in the field and fly off, on Sunday.  Amazing
1’—>1’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 01:16:04 pm »
Nature and survival is amazing. I remember seeing a hawk snatch a rabbit. The rabbit didn’t give up though and somehow made the hawk drop it. Neither missed a beat as the rabbit immediately resumed it’s  zigging run for its life and the hawk continued it aerial attack. The hawk picked the rabbit up two more times and the rabbit made him drop him both times. The rabbit got to cover and as far as I know escaped. I don’t know if it survived and maybe the hawk got it later. It was pretty impressive at any rate.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise