Author Topic: Reworking slipper elm warbow  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Sandsquid

Reworking slipper elm warbow
« on: February 26, 2022, 07:21:20 pm »
I decided I was going to try and save a a slippery elm bow I made a couple of years ago.  When I made the bow I really did not know what I was doing.  It is an English longbow design.  72.5"s knock to knock, 1.550" width at the handle, D shape cross section, weighs 2 lbs. and it originally pulled 120 @ 29".  I cut the stave two short, tapered the width too fast, rounded the belly to much, didn't work the bow enough on the tiller, and had the mid limbs doing to much of the work.  It immediately started taking set and lost lbs.  I did shoot it and use it as pull bow to work up strength.  I stopped when I noticed the brace starting to change few weeks ago.  Despite everything I did wrong the bow limbs have no frets.  I've had another slippery elm bow fail that way. 

I cooked the belly of the bow last week.  I did heat some of the set out of the limbs, and had to straighten the lower limb when I was done.  I spent today tillering.  I took quite a bit of material off the handle and the outer limbs.  I was able to flatten the belly some.  The bow is pulling 130 @ 29".  I worked it pretty hard.  It seems pretty stable and I've not noticed any soft set.  It has about 2.5" of set which is better than when I started.  I think I'm going to let it set couple of days and I will check it again before I finish it.

I 'm looking for any comments or suggestions on the tiller.   

Offline Sandsquid

Re: Reworking slipper elm warbow
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 09:54:08 am »
I found some pics when I originally made the bow.  Thought I would post them.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 11:57:23 am »
Bend looks good. Did you heat in any reflex? Definitely impressive draw weight for that length bow.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 07:17:32 pm »
It seems like you have done all you can to improve a bow that you were not happy with.
You've actually gained draw weight but reduced physical weight which is great.
That tiller looks pretty good based on the journey the bow has been on.
Leave it at that and enjoy shooting it, well done.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 07:19:42 pm »
Forgot to mention, love the idea of a vice on your tiller tree.
I may copy that idea!

Offline Sandsquid

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 10:44:29 pm »
I was trying to tame a piece of osage orange that had about 6" of natural reflex and some twist in the limbs.  I got tired of it flipping around on me, so I went and bought vice.  It works good for me.

Thank you for input.  I'm just hoping the bow holds to together.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 04:42:16 am »
I haven't worked any Slippery Elm myself but just remembered an old friend telling me of his grandfather making a whip from a green Slippery Elm branch to use when plowing with a pair of mules.

He cut the branch lengthwise into four seactions leaving the bottom foot or so solid, then wove the slender still flexible sections in the same manner a leather whip is woven.
I got the impression these were meant to be used for only a few hours before they dried out and became stiff.