Author Topic: First mass principle bow  (Read 3682 times)

Black Moshannon

First mass principle bow
« on: February 22, 2022, 10:05:10 am »
Since I have to wait about a month without shooting to rest my shoulder i'm trying new things. This is my first time weighing a bow. It was roughed to 66" long, hair over 1.25" wide. I gave it a strong heat treat over the coals inducing 2.5" of reflex. Target weight is 47 pounds at 26". Today I had it bending by floor tillering. It feels like its maybe thirty pounds over my target weight. I weighed it and reduced the sides and now it weighs nineteen ounces. its down to 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" width. According to the chart in TBB vol 4, it should finish around 12.5 ounces. I got to that because of the induced reflex and the lower weight cancelling each other out. I thought I read in one of these posts Badger said that he would recommend going on the heavier side to reduce string follow, heavier than recommended in chart... It seems like I have a lot of weight to lose, six to seven ounces. And its already getting pretty narrow. Maybe this is just going to be a narrow one? here's a photo of the stave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First mass principle bow
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 10:43:41 am »
What wood are you using?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Black Moshannon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 12:28:07 pm »
Its hickory

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 12:31:52 pm »
It seems a bit narrow for hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Black Moshannon

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 12:50:43 pm »
I guess I could have started out with a wider profile. I don’t care to have the limbs on my bows wider than 1 1/4”… This one was started narrow because it’s a bend through handle design which is comfortable for my upright and vertical shooting style. But as it stands now, according to the chart it looks like I should continue narrowing the sides more to lose weight before I tiller, or you think just start tillering now..

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 10:08:50 am »
It’s to thick. But as Pat said your getting to narrow for hickory. It will probably take excessive set if you go more narrow. My bows come in at 18 -23 oz on fifty pound bows. That’s with a stiff 9-10” handle. My handles usually weigh in the 7oz range
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 10:12:49 am by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Black Moshannon

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 10:36:50 am »
Ok next one I will make wider to expect mass reducing narrowing to get it to the desired 1 1/4 and under width. For this one, I will quit narrowing as it’s at 1.25 now and just tiller, and try to reduce weight at the tips as much as possible…

Offline meanewood

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 03:03:00 pm »
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about the 'mass principle theory'
What I do know is that your Hickory stave has not read the TBB vol 4.
If you don't follow what the stave is telling you, your not going to get a good result.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 03:36:22 pm »
you wont know what the mass weight is,, until you string it and tiller it,,then start weighing it,,
just take weight off belly to tiller it,, dont worry about the mass weight till the bow is too target weight,, at your intended draw,, then see where you are at,,

Black Moshannon

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 04:44:19 pm »
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about the 'mass principle theory'
What I do know is that your Hickory stave has not read the TBB vol 4.
If you don't follow what the stave is telling you, your not going to get a good result.

Well that’s a good point…

Black Moshannon

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 04:45:12 pm »
you wont know what the mass weight is,, until you string it and tiller it,,then start weighing it,,
just take weight off belly to tiller it,, dont worry about the mass weight till the bow is too target weight,, at your intended draw,, then see where you are at,,

Ok I’ll do that then. I’ll have it strung tonight and hopefully tillering work tomorrow

Black Moshannon

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 09:43:12 pm »
It blew apart tonight while after I just braced it, and had pulled it to fifty pounds at 20 inches. The sound was so loud it hurt my ears. It’s been very dry here and I cooked it probably too long. I was cooking another one along side it and as a result of fooling around i May have cooked this one over two hours total. Ridiculous and stupid and atrocious. Starting on another stave now

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 11:26:07 pm »
Man I wish you had been video taping when it blew, that would be cool to see
In the woods I find my peace

Offline meanewood

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 03:27:18 am »
Cooked over coals for two hours!
In medieval times they called that torture.
I knew you weren't 'listening' to your stave.
If you had been, it would have told you to please stop.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 07:54:06 am »
In addition to that it sat drying down by my wood stove for some time. I knew hickory can be pushed to some limits with moisture but I really went too far with this one. This new stave I’m working on will be cooked for roughly an hour until it shows a light brown toasting and that’s it. Then wait at least three days to re-hydrate