Author Topic: Red elm bow for a friend  (Read 951 times)

Black Moshannon

Red elm bow for a friend
« on: February 22, 2022, 09:37:47 am »
I had an old red elm bow I hacked together a couple years ago but it needed a lot of work and l left it lie while working on other things. A work friend was due a bow so I took this one and made it decent. 60" long, 1.25" wide at the widest, bends some in handle, pulling 48 pounds at 26". Retains 1.25" of reflex. The heat treat with the heat gun ended up for some reason burning onto the back around the side. I think its because the belly was formerly too rounded out and before I flattened it, I did the heat treat, and it seemed like the color crept up around the sides to the back pretty quick. I think its a unique look. Black locust tip overlays and linen string. Since im resting my draw shoulder for a month I just posted the tiller tree full draw pic.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Red elm bow for a friend
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 10:45:36 am »
The outer limb on the right could bend a bit more. Other than that she looks pretty good.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Black Moshannon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 12:27:41 pm »
Thanks, yea I can see that now that its posted... oh well he won't know the difference, it will likely end up hanging on his wall...

Offline M2A

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 08:55:54 am »
Cool bow. I think red elm is a good quality bow wood thats under used. Suppose it depends on location. You ought to take your friend out shooting, would be a shame to put all that time into a wall hanger. :)
Mike