Author Topic: brace height  (Read 2356 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: brace height
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2022, 08:14:28 am »
Exactly!! There's really no reason why you can't have both.
When a bow shoots point of aim dead on dead in the hand at 40 yards with a 10 grain arrow.You've got a fast bow. :OK Another way I test bows.
You can shoot a heavier arrow dead on for more momentum/KE at closer range for hunting.

I personally bow my wrist a bit while shooting to avoid wrist slap.High brace/low brace.It only occasionally happens but really overall does'nt matter.It does matter on arrow flight though as I said earlier.

There's a reason they make and sell bracers.

It seems everyone gets into their own way of making handles/gripping the handle/drawing and releasing the bow for accuracy that suits them.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:30:29 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bassman211

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 04:35:21 pm »
When you brace a bow at the sweet spot you do have both. Next time you shoot your favorite bow drop the brace an inch even 2 ,and shoot it through a chrony. See how much speed you pick up. With proper brace height I get no wrist slap.  I shoot self bows like I shoot glass recurves. In a v with the thumb ,and index finger. Never a problem with string slap, but we all have our own way of shooting . Anchor has a lot to do with point on distance. You can shoot a low anchor with a lesser bow, and expand your point on distance. I still have to gap at 30 yds. with a 35lb. bow shooting a 350 gr arrow. You just have to find out what works best for you.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 06:03:35 pm »
I shoot my bow with a bent wrist,, so everything slaps me,  :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 09:50:58 am »
I brace my bows as low as possible to not get string slap or arrow slap and usually that is 7 to 7.5 inches as measured to the back of the bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 05:40:34 pm »
My straight handle selfbows seem to favor around 7-3/8” to 7-1/2” from the back of the bow. Converts to about 6-1/4” to belly of the handle.

Offline freke

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 05:54:04 am »

Is there any thumb rules how much to reduce brace height from optimal accuracy to optimal speed (switching between target to flight)?

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 09:03:44 am »
I’ve braced some of my 46” short bows as low as 4” and don’t get any slap.  I do shoot with a slight bent elbow and turn my wrist out. 

But usually I brace my bows long or short bows around 5-5.5”

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2022, 10:02:23 am »

Is there any thumb rules how much to reduce brace height from optimal accuracy to optimal speed (switching between target to flight)?

I haven’t broke enough records to figure that out yet! But it’s more important to get clean arrow flight for sure. If you can’t hardly see the arrrow coming out of the bow then I would say your close. 🤠🤠🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2022, 03:25:59 pm »
you will still need great arrow flight to get best speed,,
so as you lower the brace,,too much you will see bad arrow flight and reduced speed,,, you went to far,, raise height till the arrow flight is good and maximum speed is achieved,,

at that point the bow is very sensative to your release,, and a bad release with effect arrow speed and flight,,

as you raise the brace the bow is more forgiving of your release,,,,