Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

Crimean tartar style horn bow build along

<< < (5/5)

bownarra:
No the wraPPING ONTO THE SIDES WASN'T THE PROBLEM. tHIS STEP ISN'T TO KEEP THE SINEW FROM LIFTING IT IS MORE TO DO WITH ADDING SOME PROTECTION TO THE EDGES OF THE LIMB.
Ooopps caps lock.....:)

superdav95:

--- Quote from: bownarra on April 01, 2022, 03:01:44 am ---No the wraPPING ONTO THE SIDES WASN'T THE PROBLEM. tHIS STEP ISN'T TO KEEP THE SINEW FROM LIFTING IT IS MORE TO DO WITH ADDING SOME PROTECTION TO THE EDGES OF THE LIMB.
Ooopps caps lock.....:)

--- End quote ---

Ok good thanks for the help.  Will post updates once I get to reapply the sinew to this bow. 

Cheers

superdav95:
Ok so for all you horn bow guys out there.  I’m giving another go at the horn bow after taking a break from it.  I resized everything after a goo clean up and inspection of core.  All seems good but I’m worried about it lifting again.  I put several sizing coats and made sure all was nice a shiny and saturated into the core.  I put my first layer on and get a close eye on it over the next few days.  I noticed that it was wanting to lift off again.  So I decided to wrap it with some bandage and then rubber inner tube.  Seemed to be better but wondering wha  the I’m doing wrong.  I back strung bow into a heavy c shape prior to laying of sinew could this be it.  I read through Adams book again to find the answer but came up with nothing.  My guess is that the sinew is drying and shrinking lengthwise and pulling off in the mid limb area.  The first layer was 30 grams and am following the sequence laid out in Adams book.  Did I pull it into a c shape too soon. ?  Should I have waited until it dried a bit then pull into c?  In one of the pics here there is a small grain run off or inclusions at the edge.  Is this a concern?  Also the shape is an uneven c shape with one side more bend then the other.  Should I correct this now with slight heat?   Let me know what you guys think.  Here’s a few pics.  Thanks for looking

gorazd:
Hello,

I have done only one horn bow ... so I am not a profesional ,... but my bow is after 2year still in one piece  :D

I guess ... maybe the problem is in gluing

I put over 10 coats of very thin fish glue, ... and did heating gently with a heat gun all the time.
I put the sinew layer in korean style (combed sinew) .... before I put this on the bow I wet the layer with water and heated the combed layer with heat gun gently .... did gently wet-ing of the layer (on the bow) with water and heating, heating and wet-ing with fingers.
When sinew layer get gelled I put a elastic bandage over the whole limb gently tightening.... then did heating again to get glue in liquid state and gently squezed the glue into bandage...
After hour or so,... gently remove the bandage,.... then I wraped the limb very tight with old bike tube, slighty overlaping and ... and did heating againg.... to get all the excess glue out...
After each layer I shortened a rope to bend it into more C shape.

I did the the same with all 3 sinew layers... I slightly sanded the dried sinew before sizing of course

Till now bow still holds..  :OK

superdav95:
Thanks for responding to my question on this build.   Sounds like I did mine very similar to the way you did which is possibly good news as your held fine.  Time will see I’ve got one more layer to do so fingers crossed.   Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version