Author Topic: pre 1900 arrow rests or shelves???  (Read 2940 times)

perry

pre 1900 arrow rests or shelves???
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:35:06 am »
I was recently asked if their is any examples or evidence of arrow rests or shelves being used pre 1900 by an archer keen to have a try at IFAA's classic bow division . I guess he is not comfortable shooting off his hand and the rules state he must produce historical evidence before he can shoot a type of bow in this division

Had a quick  poke around myself and can not find any referances , can anyone help .

regards Perry

Offline adb

Re: pre 1900 arrow rests or shelves???
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 03:09:26 pm »
I don't know for sure, but I'd guess archers would have been shooting off the fist <1900. You can easily purchase a glove for your bow hand to prevent fletching cuts. Very common in the UK, even to this day. If you need a glove supplier, shoot me a PM... I have a friend in the UK who makes them.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:17:08 pm »
i ahave a used a plain old weight lifting glove before, works great.  if your grip is contoured then your hand is in the same spot everytime, very accurate.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 04:06:20 pm »
I f you wrap the front of your fletching, it won't cut your hand.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

perry

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 07:50:06 pm »
Thanks fella's , not sure myself why this fella wants to find out about pre 1900 bows with arrow shelves or rests when shooting off the hand works so well . I agree that there must have been individual's either putting layers of leather to form a shelf or padding out the top of their wrapped grips like we do today .

The way the full rules read the archer has to prove if equipment was used so I am sure it would exclude using gloves on the bow hand unless one could supply historical evidence .

I suspect when IFAA drew up this  division for pre 1900 equipment they could not find any conclusive evidence so they included the clause - Its upon the archer to prove historical accuracy . Their are no sub clauses where they list any evidence at all .

At least its encouraging that these governing bodies are recognising pre 1900 archery technology at all .

regards Perry