Author Topic: backing glue?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline recurve shooter

backing glue?
« on: May 17, 2008, 06:25:12 pm »
what do yall use to glue on backing?

and has anyone ever thought of useing palmeot leaves as backing?
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: backing glue?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:29:01 pm »
urac, TB, hide glue, it depends on what I am using as a backing
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 06:53:33 pm »
k, cool. howabout stuff like wood glue, epoxy, or anything els simple like that?
lets just shoot it

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 06:59:10 pm »
That's what TB is, as simple as it gets ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 07:55:21 pm »
Titebond is carpenters glue. You can certainly go to the hardware store and buy any wood glue and use it. It might not be exactly the same but it will work.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 12:46:20 am »
I like resorcinol. You dont need to heat cure it and once its dry you can boil it if you want and it wont let go. Tite bond 3 is nice and easy though. The only thing I dont like about it is that it shrinks when it dries so your joints have to match perfect.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 01:03:02 am »
anybody ever use gorilla brand wood glue?
i picked some up today at wally world and i am going to try it to glue some a lemon wood handle to a red oak board
death by natural causes

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 01:48:30 am »
From what I have heard its no good for anything that bends and it leaves air bubbles in the glue line. I have not tried it on a bow myself. I know it does foam up as it cures.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 02:24:50 am »
Gorilla glue expands after glue up then dries with bubbles everywhere.  Don't waste your time or money using it on bows.  Justin

SW Utah

radius

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 04:19:16 am »
ya, i haven't heard anything good about gorilla glue...

i generally use G2 epoxy...it is awesome stuff...cures in a day at room temperature, 60 minutes working time...which allows me the fuss-time i need when bending in a form

but having said that, i have also used simple yellow glue and had no troubles yet...

and i did a water test on my yellow glue.  It took 6 hours of complete immersion in water for the pieces to come apart...and even then, i had to pull them apart...so i think that yellow glue should do you fine, provided you take steps to shed water from the bow when it is finished.

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 02:47:35 pm »
ive used it in hafting tapered lumen heads... magnus broad heads that i seperated from the screw in adapter with the use of a blow torch and a pair of pliers... works wonders.... i have also used it in inlays.... seems to work fine... but i havent tried to use it for backing so i guess that i need to get some of the good stuff
death by natural causes

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 05:21:30 pm »
The old brown Gorilla glue is a waste of time. I backed a bow with linen one time with it and it peeled off first pull. Now the new white gorilla glue works fine just about like the TB's . It seems to dry faster than TB and so far no problems.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 05:54:08 pm »
cool i have some of that too.... i am anxious to try it... are you talking about the wood glue formula from gorilla co.? its white ... as far as the brown glue goes.... i have used it to glue foam sheets for the soles of moccasin boots and also for insoles... it works well and doesnt seem to have any problem in that capacity
death by natural causes

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 12:28:00 am »
dont mess with the monkey glue. i glued a handle onto an osage long for a friend withit and when he drew it it popped right off.
lets just shoot it