Author Topic: Achieving target weight  (Read 1565 times)

Black Moshannon

Achieving target weight
« on: February 10, 2022, 08:47:29 pm »
What is the best way to make the right draw weight? I have finished up two bows and I made them both pull the draw weight (48 pounds for the one and 45 for the other) at an inch under full draw, which is 26”. This was a method I saw in the Bowyers Bible which Tim Baker recommended. Another method I have used from the Bowyer’s Bible was making the bow five pounds heavier than the intended weight. Is there another method out there or am I on the right track?

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Achieving target weight
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 08:50:19 pm »
When I tiller on a tree I give it 40 pulls on every scraping session until I’m about 3” to full draw.  The last 3” I give it 100 pulls every scraping session.  When I reach full draw I give it 100 back to back pulls to full draw.  Doing it this way I have not noticed any loss of weight after shooting it in.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 09:19:11 pm »
I know that I’ve read to never pull past your intended draw weight. There is probably good reason for that, but if I am shooting for a 45lb bow I will draw it 55 on the tree until the bend is right. I will then bring it down to 50 for the last few inches of draw. Then after I get it all sanded it will be in the neighborhood of 48 or so. Then I’ll shoot the bejesus out of it (bejesus = a couple hundred shots). Sometimes I will be right around 45 then, if it is still heavy I bring it on in with sandpaper. Almost every bow I make I just want it between 40 and 50, so this works well for me..

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 02:54:47 am »
And leave enough for sanding, adjusting tiller. I call the bow done when I hit weight 1 inch short of intended drawlength. Final sanding, shooting and tweaking will bring it to full draw/weight.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 05:00:57 pm »
if you hit the weight you doing great,, :)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 03:26:25 pm »
I just kind of sneak up on the final weight and draw length while being careful not to put excessive strain on the bow.
Gordon

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 06:37:00 pm »
My method so far is to come in 5-10 pounds below weight, cuss and grouch about it a bit, figure out what I did wrong, then go looking for a new stave.   ;D

...but I'm getting there.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 06:56:33 am »
The only way I can make it work for me is when I'm at 26" I start shooting it. I had an arrow marked at 26" but now know where to draw to. I use a heavy arrow.

Don

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 05:07:51 pm »
 Iam working a piece of shagbark hickory, trying to get into the 40# range, seems like I have to keep narrowing to lose weight, right now 1 1/2".  tiller is affected by several overgrown knots, and the fact that I cut arrow passes on both sides, the upper limb is bending more, but the tiller appears to be similar using my EK gizmo.  Will get a new picture and start a new post, so this one doesn't get hijacked.  Assuming I can get the pic to post :fp (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 10:41:33 am »
I pull to my intended draw weight from the beginning and exercise well after each wood removal. This exercising has helped me to maintain this draw weight after shooting in the bow. Once I get near full draw I shoot the bow a few times as I head towards the finished tillering. I think this shooting helps stabilize the tiller. You have to be sure everything is good before you start shooting or problems can occur.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 08:34:29 pm »
For me, if I’ve come in underweight it’s because I braced too late. It really comes from not getting behind the 8 ball early on - a good floor tiller, a good long string tiller and bracing early enough, going slow, using my fingers as much as my eyes, and exercising the limbs after every wood removal.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 08:54:34 pm »
For me - getting off the long string and braced ASAP. The long string is surprisingly deceiving. I don’t floor tiller; just carefully establish limb thickness taper and start pulling on the long string. I try to get the bow braced while it’s still very much overweight. Then, balance the limbs with a rasp after that first stringing to low-med brace.

If it’s looking good at brace height while still plenty heavy, you’ll have all the room in the world to play with poundage. After that first brace, I start paying close attention. My SOP is  1) never pulling past a tillering imbalance and 2) never pulling more than 10# over intended final weight. Many exercise pulls after each wood removal. If anything it gets a bit monotonous when reducing to final weight with this method.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 08:58:17 pm by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 10:38:02 am »
I don’t pull past intended draw weight. Floor tiller, long string to where it bends to about brace. Then brace and finish the tiller. Then complain about set and try to be better on the next one. 🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!