Author Topic: when is sinew worth the effort,,  (Read 2359 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

when is sinew worth the effort,,
« on: February 10, 2022, 03:43:02 pm »
   I think there was a discussion on this a while back,
I was thinking about it,,about the best example I could think of is when you have a piece of wood or stave that will not make a bow,,,
say a belly split thats has a violated back and not enough wood to get to one ring,,,so useless as a self bow,,or any bow,,
with a sinew back it can become a hard hitting deer killer,, then its worth the effort,, I could go on,,but that seems to be one of the best examples in my mind of when sinew is really a great way to make a bow,,
   I use it on shorter bows,, cause I like the way its holds a profile,, and the performance,, but really nice short bows can be made without,,I just like the way they shoot,,,

Offline bassman211

Re: when is sinew worth the effort,,
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 05:53:13 pm »
When I think all else will fail as a back, and on some short bows on purpose from the beginning of the build. I prefer self bows really, but have nothing against a good sinew backed bow. Look at the bows the Turks built long ago. Sinew was a crucial ingredient, and on most Asian horse bows remains that way today.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 05:59:57 pm »
When the stave won't handle the design without sinew.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 06:11:54 pm »
When you live in an area where all the native bow-woods are strong in compression but weak in tension, thus prone to explode and inconvenient moments.    ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 08:51:17 pm »
When I can get enough sinew to back a bow with lol.  I’m not paying crazy prices for sinew.  I am a cheap skate.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 03:07:41 am »
It always worth the effort :).......once you understand it :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 07:09:24 am »
It always worth the effort :).......once you understand it :)
+1.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 10:46:58 am »
To me a sinew backed bow is a speciality bow and not just making a lesser stave work. I try to pick the best stave available to me and design the sinew backed bow around that. I haven't made all that many sinew bows but I've learned something from each one I've made. My first successful sinew backed bow turned out to be a failure in the long run but is still alive and doing well as a selfbow. Her name is Elkie.   I built Elkie for my first Colorado elk hunt back in 2006 and wrote a PA article about her being built and going on the hunt("The Story of Elkie", PA Magazine in 2007). While I was demonstrating Elkie to the class of a school teacher friend the sinew on one limb partially popped off. That's a pretty sorry feeling at full draw. (A)  I repaired the lifted sinew on Elkie with TBIII and the repair held up for that hunt. I gave Elkie to Kenneth(Little John) as a thank you for the invitation to Colorado for the hunt. Later she lifted more sinew so Kenneth sent her back to me and I removed the sinew and Elkie became a selfbow. Kenneth still has Elkie and he still shoots her on a regular basis. BTW, the stave, the sinew, the snakeskin backing, the elk tip overlays and other aspects of Elkie were donations from members of PA for this special hunt and I took that Medicine with me to the high country of the San Juan Mountains of Southwest Colorado. Unfortunately, no one notified the elk I was coming.
 After my experience with Elkie, I changed my way of preparing a bow to add sinew and other soft backings and since then I haven't had the problem of sinew or other soft backings not adhering again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 01:37:43 pm »
To me a sinew backed bow is a speciality bow and not just making a lesser stave work. I try to pick the best stave available to me and design the sinew backed bow around that. I haven't made all that many sinew bows but I've learned something from each one I've made. My first successful sinew backed bow turned out to be a failure in the long run but is still alive and doing well as a selfbow. Her name is Elkie.   I built Elkie for my first Colorado elk hunt back in 2006 and wrote a PA article about her being built and going on the hunt("The Story of Elkie", PA Magazine in 2007). While I was demonstrating Elkie to the class of a school teacher friend the sinew on one limb partially popped off. That's a pretty sorry feeling at full draw. (A)  I repaired the lifted sinew on Elkie with TBIII and the repair held up for that hunt. I gave Elkie to Kenneth(Little John) as a thank you for the invitation to Colorado for the hunt. Later she lifted more sinew so Kenneth sent her back to me and I removed the sinew and Elkie became a selfbow. Kenneth still has Elkie and he still shoots her on a regular basis. BTW, the stave, the sinew, the snakeskin backing, the elk tip overlays and other aspects of Elkie were donations from members of PA for this special hunt and I took that Medicine with me to the high country of the San Juan Mountains of Southwest Colorado. Unfortunately, no one notified the elk I was coming.
 After my experience with Elkie, I changed my way of preparing a bow to add sinew and other soft backings and since then I haven't had the problem of sinew or other soft backings not adhering again.

What did you change to prep the back?  Also, what kind of wood is Elkie?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 02:26:47 pm »
Elkie is osage. Initially I used acetone to degrease wood before adding backings. Now I sand the back with 120 sandpaper, wash it with Dawn and warm water and rinse with boiling water just before I'm ready to start sizing and adding the sinew. I like having the wood wet when I start sizing so the glue is better absorbed into the wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 05:47:23 pm »
ok here is another example, when you want to make a bow like Jay Massey and kill a moose,, )P( (-S

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 07:10:28 pm »
Like this one Brad...

This supposed Jay Massey bow was given to me with the stipulation that if I die first my friend gets it back.  :OK  It looks very much like one of Jay's bows but I have no real proof. No signature or other identifying markings except with halibut skin over the sinew.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 03:28:11 pm »
thats so cool thank you for sharing,, (-S (-S (-S

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 05:40:43 pm »
Did you notice the cracks in the belly that the drying sinew caused?
 This is my copy of of Jay's Medicine Bow, sinew backed hickory with a painted rawhide backing. This is another bow that was made with items from other people. I've listed the contributors names on the belly and what they contributed. I also offered the use of the bow to any of the contributors and two of them took game with it; a doe deer with a horseweed, stone pointed arrow by Jamie Leffler and a Florida turkey by Mullet.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 04:17:27 pm »
thats  a beautiful, can you post specs, I want to make one next,,
what glue did you use etc,,