Author Topic: Shaving Horse plans  (Read 1451 times)

Offline BJung

Shaving Horse plans
« on: February 09, 2022, 12:00:49 am »
Would anyone be willing to share their shaving horse plans with me? I've seen them online but none with dimensions. I can just guess buy dimensions would be easier. Thank you

Offline Hamish

Re: Shaving Horse plans
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 01:48:45 am »

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 02:23:30 am »
Make a solid bench instead and add a 4" Engineers vice or if you are feeling flush get a pattern makers vice :)

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 03:10:45 am »
Good point. A shaving horse is excellent for prepping lots of staves, but not as useful when it comes to tillering.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 03:13:54 am »
Here's mine... You need to make it to suit you, not really a one size fits all sort of thing (at least, not if you want it comfortable and ergonomic)
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2013/09/shave-horse-pics.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BJung

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 07:53:44 pm »
So it is unnecessary to have a shaving mule and using just a bench wood vise?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 05:27:25 pm »
 Depends on whether you have space. I would pick the vise if I had only room for one.

The shave horse excels when you want to rough out a stave into a bow, up to floor tillering. I prefer it to using a vise at this stage because its easier to clamp, manipulate the stave, and take off large amounts of waste.

For finer work, when the limbs are flexing a bench and a vice gives you better control, and you can work the bow when it is strung.

Have both if you can.

Offline BJung

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 01:03:49 am »
Thanks Hamish. I don't have a lot of room in my 1 car garage. Maybe a B/D Workmate will work for the fine finishing.

Offline freke

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 10:56:24 am »
This one is made in recovered wood that once was impregnated for outdoor purpose, and this horse has its place in the green.  This design is very easy to make and take no time, it is not so delicate as the one Del posted but it do its job to rough out staves, tool handles etc. The design is a compromise to be able to be out door all year long.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 01:25:50 pm »
I followed this plan I found online and made it from scrap wood I had lying around, thinking I'd make a better one if the whole wannabe bowyer thing stuck. 2 years later and I'm still using it

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 10:45:20 am »
I have one similar to Freke's. Works really good. Given to me by a friend. Has had several hundred bow made from it. By my friend, not me. :)
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman