Author Topic: I was going to write a book but don't know if I'll have time  (Read 3661 times)

Offline sleek

I was going to write a book but don't know if I'll have time
« on: January 29, 2022, 11:02:58 pm »
So I'm considering putting all my notes and thoughts in here. I'm worried about leaving behind incorrect information however and many of my musings I have in my notes are tests id like to do, and thought experiments I haven't concluded. I don't have the energy to sort through it all and filter out what I am just simply uncertain of and what I am. I'll do my best though in the coming days. The biggest thing is I'd like to share what I have learned with people who are interested.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: I was going to write a book but don't know if I'll have time
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 11:12:14 pm »
good to see you posting...hope you and yours are doing well.  I'm looking forward to reading your rambling thoughts... :)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Nasr

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 02:28:30 am »
Looking forward to it

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 02:50:01 am »
I think your thoughts are worth putting out in some form. Could be a series of short essays instead of a big cohesive book. Seems like everyone is putting out a book but I think you’d have something more to add to the volumes of tutorial.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 03:36:52 am »
There are some great points made here... I think anything detailing experimental methods and results is great as it moves away from the heresay and missinformationwhich abounds on the internet (there is some great stuff there, but also some rubbish)
I originally started my blog and Youtube chanel as a reference for myself and it's become a good way to pass it on.
A book is a lot of work, and it's impossible to correct the inevitable typos and errors once it's published.
People have suggested I should do a book, but I feel it would just become a vanity project or never get finished (there is always more to say about making bows ::) ).
I do have a series of sketches I've done, generally to answer a question or illustrate a point, maybe they would make an interesting little book.
Anyhow, whatever you decide, I wish you luck.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 03:58:38 am »
Documenting builds made for future reference is the only way to compile info for a future book.As there are so many variables with different types of builds.Then getting a general consensus.Stating the reasons why and why not things are done in such a way as it's easy for anyone to understand to avoid mistakes.
Compiling information so a laymen can understand it sometimes is'nt enough for some.As the attention to detail trait using patience is absorbed by some more readily than others.
If you don't mind repeating yourself and enjoy the interaction a book is'nt necessary.
Good luck with your book.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 05:09:32 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 09:12:15 am »
I have published a few books through Amazon. I'd be glad to help if I can. I'm thinking of writing a series of DIY books with their new series publishing. I so agree writing a book is a lot of work, so if you don't enjoy writing, it's not worth it.

It's just another hobby for me.
Don

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 09:13:56 am »
One more note, ask a few people to help edit. Any new bow builder would be glad to read your stuff (including me) and give feed back before it's published.
Don

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 09:31:45 am »
Good luck with it . I might build a good bow ever now and then but could never do a book about it. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 08:16:37 pm »
I can discourage you now or you can get discouraged on your own after a lot of work.

1. There has never been a best-selling archery book--Not by Saxton Pope, nor Robert Elmer, nor Howard Hill, nor Byron Ferguson. The market is not and never will be big.

2. Everybody and his dog is writing a book on every subject there is, those who ARE interested, have to wade through a flood of poorly written books by authors who know little about their subject in the hope of finding a book by someone like you who does know something.

3. The market for self-published ebooks has starved a lot of traditional book publishers out of the market. They used to pay fairly well. Now they are taking on very few books and only those that seem likely to sell many thousands of copies.

4. Whatever you do, do NOT pay anybody to publish your book. That was never a good idea, and now with self-publishing, ebooks and print on demand, there is no excuse at all to pay anybody to print a thousand copies for you to sell.

Jim (who is a retired copy editor and whose wife has published more than 100 novels.)

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 08:34:04 pm »
I can discourage you now or you can get discouraged on your own after a lot of work.

1. There has never been a best-selling archery book--Not by Saxton Pope, nor Robert Elmer, nor Howard Hill, nor Byron Ferguson. The market is not and never will be big.

2. Everybody and his dog is writing a book on every subject there is, those who ARE interested, have to wade through a flood of poorly written books by authors who know little about their subject in the hope of finding a book by someone like you who does know something.

3. The market for self-published ebooks has starved a lot of traditional book publishers out of the

market. They used to pay fairly well. Now they are taking on very few books and only those that seemlikely to sell many thousands of copies.

Jim you never cease to amaze me! I know nothing about this stuff but that sounds like sound advice . Just saying. Arvin

4. Whatever you do, do NOT pay anybody to publish your book. That was never a good idea, and now with self-publishing, ebooks and print on demand, there is no excuse at all to pay anybody to print a thousand copies for you to sell.

Jim (who is a retired copy editor and whose wife has published more than 100 novels.)

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 08:38:57 pm »
Jim you never cease to amaze me. That sounds like sound advice. But I’m in for $25 if you write one! Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 08:41:18 pm »
You will mention me right!🤠🤠🤠
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:51:23 am by Selfbowman »

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 09:45:37 pm »
I appreciate the logical discouragement. I won't be doing a book, I've pretty much decided I'll be posting a bunch on here as I have the time/energy. I just need to figure out the best way to do it so it doesnt look like a bunch if chaotic word vomit and nonsense.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 10:07:49 pm »
Sleek, may I suggest that you write up your posts in Word or some other software. Let it cool for a while, read through and correct or change as needed, then copy the text and paste it to this forum.

All of our posts might benefit from that kind of preparation.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine