Author Topic: Tiller Check and Advice  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Piddler

Tiller Check and Advice
« on: January 26, 2022, 07:38:22 pm »
Guys and Gals, If you would look over the photos and help me out with the tiller on this one. Its just wavy enough to not work well with the Gizmo (thanks Eric for that device) I usually use. The wood is Osage 67 inches tip to tip and 65 1/2" nock to nock. Currently at 41# at 20 inches. The draw photos are all at the 20". Was originally wanting to get 50 or 55 at 26 or 27 so we'll see where it ends up. It is bracd at +- 4 3/4 from the back of handle and +- 5 3/4" from back of fade area. handle is still 1 1/2" tall. I had to decide on the upper limb placement already so it shows in the pics on some. The more knotty limb ended up on top. I had to thin the handle to make some string alignment with heat. Also done some heat work on the limbs for alignment.  Fades are 1 3/8" wide tapering to 1/2" at knock. Still got some narrowing I can do there. So far during tillering have lost just under 1/4" to set. Lower limb is about 1/4" more reflexed than the top limb. 
Thanks Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline RyanY

Re: Tiller Check and Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 07:51:39 pm »
Probably more inner limb bend than I would go for. Would get the outer 2/3rds working more.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 08:42:45 pm »
Thanks Ryan.
There is a dip right at the fade on the lower limb that looks a bit hingy really not. I'll work on the outer limbs to get them bending more as recommended.
I forgot to add that I'm gonna reflex the tips a bit if that changes anybody's opinion on anything. Should use up about 4 1/2" or so of limb to make that curve.
Piddler

Offline Nasr

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 11:31:08 pm »
Would get outter limbs bending more

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 07:25:21 pm »
Guess I have just got a different eye, ???  looks pretty good to me over all. I would move forward. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 07:35:14 pm »
I agree with Pappy. Looks good to me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Piddler

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 07:52:55 pm »
Thanks Fellas. The crooks don't look bad in the photo but they mess with my eye on the tiller. Latest photo at 24" at #50. I have one limb wanting to twist slightly but will be fixable. Recurved one limb this morning and will do the other tomorrow. All critics and suggestions welcome.
Piddler

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 08:07:55 pm »
Maybe a little more towards the fade , especially the upper one. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Piddler

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 08:13:22 pm »
Thanks Pappy, Will do. Got a couple inches to go.
Piddler

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 08:24:59 pm »
That should get you there .😉
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 02:33:31 pm »
Don't remove any wood until you have the recurves bent in....
Recurving the tips will alter your limb shape (of course  this depends how much you recurve).
You are both shortening the limb and adding a lever on the end.
The shortening of working limb will raise the weight some but the recurve gives more 'advantage' over it....
It is sensible to get the stave bending some (thin enough) before recurving but personally I'd have done it earlier.
Once you have the curves bent post another picture of it braced and at a short draw before pulling to weight (to avoid any issues...;) )

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 06:33:23 pm »
Good advice bownarra.😊Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Piddler

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 07:34:39 pm »
Thanks Pappy and Bownarra. Probably should have put in the curves earlier but oh well. Seems like the wood removal- tillering went faster than usual. Will heed the advice for the next one. I will post photos when we get back to tillering.
On with the story, just gonna stay on this same thread as I go. Put in one curve yesterday went ok with no issues other than maybe getting back some of the original bend that I had straightened with the heat gun. I'll have to correct it again. Second curve done this afternoon did ok except I lifted a splinter at the bottom of the nock groove. I don't think its lethal but would like opinions as well. Didn't look at it close as I was getting the clamps on. Looks like it traveled 1/2" or so. SO Question is CA thin or tightbond III to try and put it back together. Photo attached. It has a clamp there so it's not gaping open like it would without it.
I boiled these for 30 minutes so don't know if I bent it too fast or should have rounded the corners more (Know I should have) but what is done is done and I'll save it if possible. Curves aren't too big. I'll give it a couple days to rehydrate and the glue to dry and we'll get back to the tillering.
Thanks again fellas for the comments and advice.
Piddler

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 08:53:02 pm »
I would just fill with ca and clamp, clean up and move on, shouldn’t cause a problem. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Piddler

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 09:25:39 pm »
Thanks Pappy
Piddler