Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 155310 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #1185 on: July 08, 2024, 04:53:09 am »
Happy belated 4th BJ ! I'm always a bit envious of Your Beach spot - WOW. Looking forward to following Your Canoe adventure - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #1186 on: July 10, 2024, 11:53:03 am »
Looking forward to seeing what you make of those, Brian.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1187 on: July 10, 2024, 02:47:53 pm »
It was a good time Pappy. Hope to get away to Elm Hall for a day or night if I can. Probably just a drive by visit. Fair week for the grandkids and they have lots of animals. Love to share a bonfire at the beach if you can make it this way.

Pat I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do with my canoe too. I can see it in my head but it’s got a long way to go

The frame is going to be split from white cedar and I think that’s my next project. Hopefully wheat harvest doesn’t drag on and I get a chance to split some cedar. I need enough for inner frame, outer frame, top rail, sheathing to go between the bark a d the ribs and the ribs

Should get good at splitting cedar by the time I’m done.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1188 on: July 10, 2024, 02:56:06 pm »
Happy belated 4th to you to Bob.

You certainly are invited to join us at the beach if you get this way. Maybe we can go for a canoe ride.

Me to WB I really find the whole process very interesting. I’m sure I will learn a ton on this project

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1189 on: July 10, 2024, 03:02:14 pm »
We did get some wheat off . Not the greatest conditions for combining, but extremely good quality wheat.

It’s raining now. Not good timing for the wheat. It’s so hard on the nerves to have this beautiful crop of wheat ready to harvest and it’s getting rained on. Hopefully the quality doesn’t deteriorate too bad.

Don’t have many pictures but here’s a couple

Bjrogg

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #1190 on: July 11, 2024, 05:40:03 am »
your birch bark looks great.
this canoe project is awesome
Cant wait to see it float

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1191 on: July 12, 2024, 01:48:14 pm »
Thanks GlisGlis.
I’m enjoying the entire experience so far. I’m looking forward to seeing it float too.

Unfortunately wheat harvest looks like it is going to drag on.

We had 2.4” of rain two day’s ago. The rain really soaked the wheat up and it’s going to take some dry weather to get it ready to harvest.

Was hoping maybe today late afternoon but it’s not looking good so far. Heavy dew and mostly cloudy. Light wind. Not drying. My feet are starting to shrivel up from my constantly wet shoes.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1192 on: July 12, 2024, 01:52:01 pm »
Yesterday I finished preparing my planter for storage. Have all the systems cleaned really good and then I spray a mixture of diesel and hydraulic oil to keep it from rusting. Parked it away in its spot

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1193 on: July 12, 2024, 01:55:55 pm »
Wheat was still to wet but we did try header to see if changes we made were going to work. It was a lot better but we still decided to change the stripper plates.

The beans that aren’t in the low spots are looking pretty good. Need to keep watching them for blossoms.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1194 on: July 16, 2024, 08:19:29 am »
Been a struggle with wheat harvest.

Last Friday afternoon we were hoping to have a big day. We started at my son’s wheat. No more than got started and it poured down rain.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1195 on: July 16, 2024, 08:23:23 am »
We had a field about 14 miles north that didn’t get very much rain Friday.

My cousin was going back to California Saturday. We met at the beach one last time before he left for a cup of coffee and a pleasant sunrise. The lake was dead calm.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1196 on: July 16, 2024, 08:27:58 am »
After our goodbyes my cousins long day of traveling and my long day of wheat harvest started. Our crew started moving everything to the field that didnt get rained on the day before.

By the time we got everything moved the dew was off and we started harvesting.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1197 on: July 16, 2024, 08:33:09 am »
The lines got long and getting trucks empty was a challenge. We had to get a little creative to keep drivers in trucks so we had empty containers for the wheat . At times we had to park the cart tractor and put the operator in a truck.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1198 on: July 16, 2024, 08:37:04 am »
We managed to keep emptying trucks and the hot weather dried the wheat down enough it could go right in the dry bin. That really helped with the line. We kept at it until we finished the field

I didn’t get home until almost midnight.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1199 on: July 16, 2024, 08:55:11 am »
It was supposed to rain through the night but it missed my son’s field. I was very tired but we got up early and took loaded trucks out.

We moved everything back to the field we had gotten rained out in on Friday. By the time we got everything unloaded and moved it was time to start harvesting.

We did manage to get my son’s wheat off and even a little bit of our last field. We went until we just couldn’t get it through the combines anymore.

We did have two good days. The wheat was right on the edge for quality but it was all good yet.

It rained early Monday morning and also this morning. I’m pretty sure the rest of our wheat is not going to be milling quality. I’m very grateful that we got as much as we did.

I definitely have a Love Hate relationship with wheat harvest. I personally love harvest if it wasn’t for the constant stress of getting it off milling quality.

We have had a lot of rain now. The crops are showing signs of to much rain. There’s a lot of really sick edible bean fields.

The sugar beets are even showing signs in the poorer drained areas.

They are really growing in the well drained areas though.

Bjrogg