Author Topic: Educational Bow  (Read 4066 times)

Offline TRACY

Educational Bow
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:50:33 am »
This bow was a learning tool from the beginning. I didn't think I would get much further than the splice because of some knots. I had the opportunity to take more chances with the heat gun trying to take  out the deflex and aligning the tips etc. I also had a couple of thin spots that limited tillering to an ideal weight. I also had to use super glue on some checks that appeared after heating those areas probably too much. The black rat snake skin was a roadkill that I decided to apply with TB liquid hide glue. I've always made my own glue for this but decided to give it a try and was very satisfied with the outcome. I cut the snake skin short so I could wrap the tip area with deer sinew. Expecting this bow to not make it to the next stage allowed me to try new techniques that I don't normally do and so I gained some knowledge from this whole process and ended up with a very functional bow. It's 60"ntn and is 44lbs. @ 27".  I've shot it 500+ times and it doesn't show any sign of set and is a very smooth to shoot. Just found a helper with the camera and added full draw pic. The upper limb tip area looks stiff/flat in the pic but I never saw it on the tillering tree. Not sure if it's just the pic or what but feel free to critique. Thanks

Tracy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 08:21:17 pm by TRACY F »
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Educational Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:10:27 pm »
Very nice bow Tracy. Its amazing what you can accomplish(and learn) when you let the wood dictate what it wants to be instead of trying to wrestle it into submission.  Sometimes I make the specific bow I want but usually I allow the wood to decide. I'm usually more successful that way.  ;) A few adjustments are usually necessary but not a total reconfiguration.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:48:16 pm »
Nice job Tracy,very nice outcome and the added bonus of learning something new. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 02:03:41 pm »
I don't know if you want this considered for Self Bow of the Month. If your bow is for Educational purposes, then I would include it because BOM reminds us all of the challenges and successes of bow making.
Anyway, a full draw would be great if you would like to include it.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

330bull

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:31:28 pm »
Really nice!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 05:35:53 pm »
Your bow turned out very nice. I particularly like the skins.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 06:43:24 pm »
Great looking bow.  The amazing thing is how many times I have to learn something before it really sinks in.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 12:35:26 am »
oh man I hear you there.. I'm so thick skulled... never sink in less I get hit over the head.
but good point and well timed... think I need to do the same.

Beautiful bow. I really like the skin backing.
N2
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:40:36 am by n2everythg »
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 01:31:54 am »
Great "Education" for everyone.  Thanks for the Full Draw and I've got you bookmarked for May Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 09:41:05 am »
Really nice job on that one, and it seems something new is learned on just about every bow. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:01:26 am »
Thanks for the kind words. I've heard several of you mention in the past to not get attached to any one bow while building it. It's great advice because things don't always work out the way you would like them too and I think it even hinders progress when your wanting to try something different but don't want to take the risk.

Thanks for the replies

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:27:26 am »
You did a great job. Very nice.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!