Author Topic: question about knots for rawhide backed yew  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

question about knots for rawhide backed yew
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:59:26 pm »
 I have a pretty nice yew stave that I am working on.  I am going for a flatbow, 1.25" wide , 66"NTN, around 60# at 28".    I am planning on backing with rawhide for added protection, as this is going to be a hunting bow.  I've never done a bow out of yew before so I have a few questions before going any further with it.
  There are a few knots that have me concerned.  The first one is about 10" from the tip and ends up being centered in the limb.  Since I plan on backing with rawhide, can I take the "hump" down a little? Or should I leave it as it is?

The second knot ends up being again about 10" from the opposite tip.  This small grouping of knots is right on the edge of the limb layout.  How much wood should I leave around these knots?  Should I take my outline out to the edge of the stave here?

Here is a shot of the stave overall..

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, 
Titan_Bow

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline deerhunter97370

Re: question about knots for rawhide backed yew
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:41:42 pm »
I myself would leave the nots. Im working on a 54 in. Yew rawhide back. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:42:14 pm »
When I Rawhide Back a Snaky Stave....and I use the crap out of Rawhide....I like the Stuff.......I make sure the Wood is degreased....and I have about 50 foot of 1/8" cord....and the Rawhide is as soft as it is going to get.......get my Hide Glue Ready....size the back of the Bow....lay the damp Rawhide down and pat it off....coat the Bow with Hide Glue....lay the Rawhide down the Limbs.....rub out to make sure that there isn't any trapped Air Bubbles.....and then Start wrapping the Bow with the Cord.....nice and snug to make it mold to all of the Ginks and Bumps and Dips in the Stave.....leave it wrapped overnight....then unwrap it to let it completely dry....Using the Cord will give the Rawhide a textured look due to the String creasing it....but I like it that way....or you can always Snake Skin it afterwards..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:40:53 pm »
I would leave the knot on the back and put rawhide right over it.
Gordon

Offline shamus

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:11:55 pm »
I'd leave the knot as-is, and put rawhide over it. The knots on the side of the limb, I'd ignore them when cutting the limb width. They're small enough to ignore. The rawhide back will keep these knots from blowing in tension, and yew can take compression. I have a yew bow with  a similar knot on the side. The side knot does not do through the back.