Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

Horn bow???

<< < (2/8) > >>

BowEd:

--- Quote from: superdav95 on January 02, 2022, 12:52:43 am ---Thanks bowed    Funny story on the v notch actually.  I had originally built this bow little longer and glued the syahs on the top of the bamboo and the secured with cord by wrapping tight.  I guess I flattened little too much and weekened the tip and it snapped.  So I had to shorten it and v notch the boo with the horn lammed into the syahs.  It ended up looking cool anyway and it seems to be holding up.  Should I wrap them you think???

Cheers

--- End quote ---
I've actually never done it that way but have seen others do it without wrapping.I imagine they held up.No follow up was ever posted on those though.
Yours was a 5 piece correct?Mine were usually all 1 piece.
Looks like there's plenty of thickness there at that V splice and one thing I do know about EA 40 is that it is a very good glue in those situations of shock after release etc.It should hold up as that glue is impervious to environmental conditions and it's bonding power if applied to their directions holds up to it's claims.
It does make the bow look a little cleaner that way without the wrappings.

superdav95:

--- Quote from: simk on January 02, 2022, 07:10:39 am ---very good job Dave! looks crafted perfectly! would like to see the tiller  ;)
You could still turn it into a full hornbow by adding some sinew at this point. But maybe better start from new and glueup horn an boo with a ton of reflex before sinewing - that's what will make the difference in performace to a "normal" bow!

--- End quote ---

Thanks Simk!  I appreciate that.  I may just leave this one unbacked and fiddle with it a bit more and finish it up.  It draws nicely and shoots very good for what it is really. After unstringing it only takes about 10mins to fully creep back to its orig resting limb straightness shape.  I think the next one I will do will be lammed with horn over top the v notch properly and gather enough sinew by then.  I’ve got almost enough back strap to do one side but will have to source more to do entire bow.  I’ll make the syahs little longer next time as well.  Ed sent me some nice pieces of horn!   I’ll try and get a stain and sealer done on it this week and do some full draw pics and chrono shots.  I’m gonna weight the bow too. It seems very light in the hand compared to my other bamboo Mongolian style bows. 

Cheers

bownarra:
what an interesting bow :)
Glad it worked out for you.
Personally I'd wrap the splices.

superdav95:

--- Quote from: bownarra on January 03, 2022, 01:46:36 am ---what an interesting bow :)
Glad it worked out for you.
Personally I'd wrap the splices.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Bownarra. I had fun with it to learn a bit with horn.  Motivation for the real thing too. Lol.  I’m gonna take your suggestion too and wrap the splices.  As cool of a look it is with the contrasting materials I’d feel safer with them wrapped for sure.  It’s only about 48-50 lbs at 28” and I’m probably over thinking it but better safe then sorry.  My gut was telling me to wrap them anyway. 

Cheers

superdav95:
Btw. All.  I did purchase a digital copy of Adams Karpowitz book and found myself up to 2am reading it and skimming through it!  Wow awesome resource.  I’ll be glad I have it when I brave my next one. 

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version