Author Topic: Flint  (Read 1216 times)

Offline TrevorM

Flint
« on: December 30, 2021, 12:52:30 pm »
I got my wife a flint and steel set for Christmas, but the flint that came with it's not great. Where do you guys get yours?
Trevor

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Flint
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 04:10:11 pm »
Try the Flintknapping section.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 04:11:46 pm »
Some of the best flint I have ever bashed with a firestriker was stuff I picked up out of the knapping pit at Pappy's farm during the Tennessee Classic. Someone had come in with a pickup load of this really fine grain dark grey stone that was pert-near as hard as my head!  Most of the pieces I picked up had some light-colored rind on them that seemed to draw spark as good as the core material. I believe I remember saying that they brought it down from Kentucky and that it might have been called Kentucky hornstone.

Next best stone I have ever found is the lovely dark caramel-colored Knife River flint from North Dakota. What I would give to have someone knap me a dozen gun flints from that stuff, seeing how I come from up that way once upon a time.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 07:50:13 pm »
Try the Flintknapping section.   :OK    :KN
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 12:20:40 am »
Try the Flintknapping section.   :OK    :KN

There's an echo in here  ;D  Will do though.
Trevor

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 12:22:17 am »
Thanks for the replies too by the way  :OK
Trevor