Author Topic: Interesting find  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Interesting find
« on: December 14, 2021, 11:31:10 pm »
A guy from Norway on TradGang posted this link so I thought I'd borrow it. Not many eastern bows have survived the test of time so this is a lucky find.
   https://www.internationalsportsman.com/400-year-old-bow-found-in-mississippi-creek/
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Interesting find
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 08:14:27 am »
Pretty amazing all the way around Pat.

Looks like it has a story to tell. I hope someone can hear it.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 08:24:07 am »
Amazing find

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 09:09:04 am »
All I can say is OMG.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 11:32:34 am »
Interesting, but I doubt the bit about the thumb indentation in the wood.  It is on the shorter end for an unbacked bow, so I wonder if it is Osage.  I also wonder if it was meant to be shot from a canoe, and that is why it is so short?  I also wonder what the draw weight length was.  Finally, do you think the bow was buried there by the original owner?  I have heard of people doing that for various reasons.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 12:59:25 pm »
The thumb indentation could have been put there by the bowyer so he could determine top/bottom limb. I doubt the owner buried it because of the chance of rot, even if it were osage. They didn't say what wood it is but probably a whitewood like hickory and was preserved by the tannins or the anaerobic environment under the mud.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M2A

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 09:42:36 pm »
Cool find. Thanks from sharing. Would be interesting to see the results after they can test to see how old the piece is as well as the species of wood used, if hey can determine. Shoulders on the nocks look very rounded over, wonder if that was by design or the result of decomposition.