Author Topic: "STRING FOLLOW"...ain't all that bad !!  (Read 23498 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: "STRING FOLLOW"...ain't all that bad !!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 08:41:15 pm »
Personally, I don't like anything close to 2" of follow. I usually get about 1-1&1/2" on my Osage D bows, and I like it there.  :)
I've got one bow that has almost 3" of string follow, and I never shoot it. With my short draw length (24") and relatively low weight bows (45lb), I need all the efficiency I can get.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline david w.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 12:46:13 am »
i couldnt agree more with string follow it really doesnt bother me as long as it stays around 2 1/2
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 01:29:19 am »
I agree completely; WAY too much is made out of string follow. Some of my favorite bows have string follow, and they are hard hitting, sweet shooting bows. Another nice aspect of string follow is that the bow is under less stress when strung.

Good thread, Manny!!!
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

radius

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 03:43:41 am »
my first successful bow is a hickory selfbow pulling about 75# at 28"...it has almost 3" of string follow, and shoots like a dream...having said that, there's some satisfaction as a craftsman in being able to tiller a bow with very little set...i have made a couple which i laminated in reflex, which come out to being just slightly reflexed after completely tillered...and they are good bows too

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 03:24:35 pm »
nice bow, nice pig, nice hair :P, nice job all around. and i dont even know what string follow is, i just know that it aint good.

well, now i dont even know that. :(
lets just shoot it

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 07:17:16 pm »
That's rigth Recurve, don't listen to everything you've being told ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 10:34:02 pm »
Just read through the whole thing Manny - that's a refreshing take on the whole thing :). All the bows I've made have some set in em (haven't made that many) and I'm just tickled that they'll kill what I'm shootin at - if I hit it ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 03:59:31 pm »
You said it cowboy, "they kill what you're shooting at "  the performance difference is so minimal, the cear difference is estetics ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 09:08:47 pm »
the clear difference is estetics ;)

And a little string follow makes it look even more like a true bow. Seems like string follow has it all going for it ;D

Offline bowmo

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 02:39:24 am »
i see you changed handle shapes...

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 07:45:03 am »
Danny, handle shape in my bows ? or handle ?  :D :D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 08:55:13 am »
How about this bow, a little string follow, but she surely did the job, 750gr arrow shot from a 58 # bow in thru the shoulder at a quatering angle and was just hanging from the nock on the other side :)

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 10:43:27 am »
How are those pigs for eatin over there Manny? I've got a couple of sow's in the past and one was like any other pork but the other stunk when being cooked and well, wasn't much on flavor :-X. Got any good recipe's? I heard there's a lot of axis deer over there, any other big game?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline StanM

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:31 pm »
Here's another stringfollow kill.  I believe the bow is around 48#, it's been a while and I truly don't remember.  Arrow was 600 grains or so with a big Ribtek up front.  Shot broke a rib on the way in and stopped in the off side leg, breaking the leg bone.

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon