Author Topic: New Bow named Promise  (Read 5613 times)

Offline armymedic.2

New Bow named Promise
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:20:56 pm »
my dad was a wheelie shooter, but after seeing me have so much fun with my wooden bows, he asked me to build him one.  i picked ipe backed with bamboo to give him speed, and to give me something new to try-he liked the dark light wood contrast.  this is my thrid bow, and i never worked with a dark wood before.  I named it promise because i promised him it would be finished before i left for Iraq in june, and i made him promise to learn how to shoot a real bow if i made one for him.   i finished just in time to show him how to shoot her!  he did quite well.  the stats:  68 " ntn, about 62lbs @28", about an inch wide at mahogany handle, and 1/4" at tips.  The ipe was so dark i had to wood burn the name in as marker did not show up well.  The turkey feather on there is from his first gobbler when he was about my age, and the white hair tied on to the handle is from a caribou i shot with him in canada about ten years ago.  the handle is leather, with another piece of leather on the back of the bow to fill my dads big hands better.  she draws smooth and shoots so much faster than my hickory boo backed combo it makes me want to trade!  ps. i had to make the quiver for him so he had something to open on christmas----here she is                                                     

Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline BigWapiti

Re: New Bow named Promise
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:50:49 pm »
Great story - great bow.  Thanks for sharing!  -Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

radius

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:54:07 pm »
tiller looks deadly, bro...handle seems a bit deep, though...guess you guys have some pretty big hands!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 10:57:22 pm »
Great bow and great gift armymedic - where have ya been? I finally got around to using some of the goose feathers I traded ya for, can't remember for what though ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:09:41 pm »
hey cowboy, thanks, i been doing tons of training for the deployment...don't worry though, those pretty points you sent me are alive and well, as is the archery bug.  gotta be home to play with them though >:(  im glad to hear those feathers are fullfilling their true purpose.  if i remember right the goose breasts tasted pretty good too  ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:23:43 am »
Excellent bow. Congratulations. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 12:57:32 am »
 Armymedic.2  Thats a great story, and your dad looks real good shooting that fine bow you made him.  I always figured getting a compound shooter to transition to a wood bow is good for some karma brownie points ;) which I'm sure the Bow Gods will wholeheartedly endorse.. Especially since you are heading off soon for a little "adventure".

The fact that your bow is a sweet looking Ipe, and bamboo doesn't go unnoticed either ;D. I hope you didn't have to pay to much for the materials.

Rich

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 01:09:53 am »
Good for you for taking care of 'Ol Dad" Great Bow and well-tillered. And most certainly boomarked for May Laminate Bow of the Month.
What's up for Father's Day? :P
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 01:39:37 am »
Very nice bow and great story. I'm sure your Dad is a proud man...and rightly so.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 07:33:17 am »
Great bow, nice job on it.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 08:03:46 am »
Great bow ,well done.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 08:11:29 am »
Nice story I bet your dad is showing that beauty off to all his friends saying look what
my son made for me ;D I have to try a ipe boo bow, I have the materials but probably won't have time
till winter comes. Great job and thanks for serving the country be safe  eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 09:38:33 am »
Really a nice and very special bow! I'm sure your dad is really proud of it and you as well.

Best of luck on your deployment! :)

Greg
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 09:44:32 am »
Great Bow and great story Thanks for your service sir

Ron

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 10:06:01 am »
    Thanks so much guys!  i really had to push myself to get her done on time, and am very happy with the ipe.  if you haven't used it before, i suggest you try it.  start by makng the belly half as thick as your favorite whitewood bow, and you might be floor tillered :D.  i could not believe how light and thin ipe can be while still holding a lot of pounds inside.  really neat wood.  toxic, but neat. all of the final sanding was done outside.
    Dad has a log cabin attached to his house for entertaining, and Promise is sitting pretty between two mulie mounts on the main wall,  really looks neat.  We are very proud. Thanks for all of the kind words guys.