Author Topic: b-day bow - Yew Self  (Read 3661 times)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
b-day bow - Yew Self
« on: June 15, 2008, 03:20:58 pm »
In celebration of a special little friend's birthday and in conjunction with my bow building addiction here it is.

Named Stryder,  20# @ 20".   This is the first bow from a massive yew,  of which i figure there is 25+'s bows. 

The handle was my pride and joy on this one,  I used hide glue and sinew for the first time,  both of which are amazing materials,  I carved and strapped on a yew wood arrow rest,  which turned out great. 

For the back,  I peeled the bark fresh and left as much cambium as possible,  I then scrapped and oxidized alder bark and boiled it down to make a dye,  the result is a beautiful red on the back of the bow,  i only did one coat so it could have been darker.  It is a nice change from the stark white of the others.

The bow took a massive set,  the first being that it was pretty green when I started,  second when steaming the handle to align the tips,  i strung the bow and bent it sideways while strung.  Third being while shooting it in,  I pulled it pretty far,  probably about 25" and I do have a compression failure at the fade on the upper limb.

It's fun to shoot and he likes it,  so that's what counts.  The string for now is a leather shoelace,  but I will replace it soon,  before it has a chance to break..

enjoy,

[attachment deleted by admin]
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
Re: b-day bow - Yew Self
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 03:21:47 pm »
2 more...

www.ravenbeak.com

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 03:23:02 pm »
missed one.

www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Cromm

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 06:48:39 pm »
Hi, Nice little bow. I hope it shoots real well too...
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:04:33 pm »
nice bow. if the lil feller actually looses with that draw, yer gonna have a new backing. a 8 inch section of lil feller hide. >:D

but im sure you've told him that. just pokein fun. :P
lets just shoot it

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:16:43 am »
Making bows for kids is fun but please keep safety in mind, if you have frets the bow is on its way to breaking
and I would hate to see it explode while the little feller is shooting it. Make another one and take your time
involve the little guy and make it together.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:38:19 pm »
Neat little bow. Good for you for sharing.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday