Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sad News
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 12:27:06 am »
Sorry for your loss, Brian.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 01:45:44 am »
Our condolences!  It is always sad to lose a friend.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 09:51:38 am »
My condolences to friends and family. RIP Mr. Lee
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 11:40:18 am »
Gerry was a friend to all of us in the primitive archer community. I don't think there was ever a person who met him and did not like him.
 He was a man of grace and dignity and lived a life that few could imagine. As a boy he survived some of the heaviest German bombing of WWII. He came to North America and made his living as a dancer and comedian. His passion for primitive archery goes' back fifty years or so.
 Well into his eighties, dealing with Parkinson's, he could be found deep in  the forest, leading his little band of merry men down the trail, shooting the 3-D targets with his mighty English war bow.
I interviewed Gerry for this magazine a few years ago, where at eighty two years old he spoke of his "Passion" for primitive archery, that struck me and gave me something to think about in my own life.
Gerry was also a very humble but funny man and could tell jokes for hours and leave everyone around busting a gut rolling around on the floor laughing.
Gerry ended the interview saying this...."Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana"

Rest in peace my friend.

Here is a link to a tribute that Brian posted for Gerry.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcQsWADb9fc&t=8s
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 12:59:23 pm »
Prayers for your sadness. Remember him with laughter.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 11:24:02 pm »
Sad news, my condolences to his friends and family.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 07:01:43 am »
Unique interesting fellow.Heck of a life he's had.My condolences to him and his family.
We have a war bow shooter regularly at Mo jam every year.I retrieved one of his bodkin point arrows from a tree limb shot from a 100 yards or so once.Stuck in there awfully deep....ha ha.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 08:54:14 am »
Gerry and some other heavy war bow shooters once did a demonstration at our spring thaw selfbow shoot. There arrows were penetrating steel plate! The bows were over 100lbs I
think. Arrows were quite think and made of poplar. Tips were hand forged. Very cool!

Offline BrianS

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 09:06:46 am »
If anyone keeps previous issued Primitive Archer magazines, there is a profile on Gerry that was written by Kevin aka Buffalo Gobbler in the September 2018 issue. In that same issue is feature article about Gerry and the Hawkeye Bowmen Clout Shoot. Hole in the Bow Chuck won the Clout Shoot that year. Shinning Times for sure!

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 09:19:31 am »
Sorry for your loss.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 04:52:34 pm »
Sorry to hear this. Met him and his son at Marshall Michigan rendevous. They were there every year and every night all you would hear was loud laughter coming from their camp. He always had a smile and a quick joke. Rest in peace good sir
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 06:05:38 pm »
Sorry to hear that, tough to loose a good friend.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good