Author Topic: hickory pyramid  (Read 3413 times)

Offline catfishon

hickory pyramid
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:20:58 am »
i got this thing starting to bend pretty good today but noticed it wanted to stay bent ?
i think the wood must not be dry enough ?
i clamped it belly side down with a 2x4 block under each end on the limbs to add some reflex.
the limbs are about 1/2" thick at the widest point and taper to 3/8 at the tips. i dont have a hot box so im just going to take it with me to work and leave it in my truck all day .
any better ideas? and how long do you think a piece like this may take to dry ?
i cut this blank from a 1 1/4 thick x 8 " wide  rough cut board, that was cut at a sawmill last year.
i was also thinking of heat treating the belly of this bow ,would that help get the moisture down ?

Offline Little John

Re: hickory pyramid
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:37:19 am »
Some one will come along with more experience than me, but where and how has this piece been stored? Should make a killer bow when you get it dry. You might just have to make a hot box, not hard.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56:50 am »
Your local hardware store will prolly have this, a combination thermometer / Relative humity gauge. Keep this where you store the bow and use this calculator( http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/emc.htm ) and you can control the moisture pretty well.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:05:47 am »
send it to Me Catfish......This Danged Desert is so dry...our relative Humidity has been no Higher than 15 percent for three Months!!! That Locust I cut three weeks ago....already clanks when you bump a Stave on the Concrete....it's drying way fast!!

And shouldn't a Pyramid Bow be about the same thickness all the way to the Tips....doing all tillering from the Sides....at least thats the way I have been taught to do them????
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline catfishon

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 07:05:42 am »
i read some where that just a small bit of taper would reduse string follow ???
i will let you know how it works out .
even with this thing only a 1/2" thick i think it would pull way up there in the pounds.
like maybe 100#
maybe i made it to wide?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 07:12:19 am »
If you don't have a hot box just put it in the house near an AC duct or in front of a heater where the humidity is low.leave it clamped untill  you go back to work on it and after each sesion put it back in a dry place.Never try and bend it while you are tillering it more than the weight you want it to be.What kind of wood is it ? Hickory,Oak ? I usually heat treat the belly after I get them out to about 20 inches.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline shamus

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:55:31 pm »
 How wide is the bow? 2"? It looks like you have a good layout

I prefer to tiller a pyramid traditionally, by reducing wood on the belly. You already have the taper set with the initial pyramid layout. Monkeying with that during tillering just seems an overly-complex and backwards way to do things. Lay out the pyramid in width, and that makes the thickness tillering easier…but does not guarantee a uniform limb thickness. It just makes tillering a little easier because the thickness taper will not be as severe.

Your bow is reduced to a good point. A sopping wet bow reduced in such a way should be dry in a few weeks or so. Putting it in your car is a good idea with hickory, because it's hard to over-dry hickory. Other woods can be more sensitive to such treatment. I would not advise throwing other woods into a hot car unless you have a very high quality moisture meter to monitor your progress.

If the board was cut a year ago, it should be dry. The relative humidity (RH) of your climate may be coming into play.  I had a similar experience with hickory. A nice dry bow that lost 2" of reflex in the first few bends of floor-tillering. But Illinois has an average RH of 60%. In any case, that piece of hickory is still waiting to be finished. I'm just not motivated to work on it.

I'd throw it in the car for a day, and then see how it reacts when you give it a bend. 

Offline catfishon

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:38:46 pm »
shamus , im in indiana so id say the rh is about the same . my bow is 2.5" wide and runs down to .5".
it seemed to be better after a day in my truck . i have pretty good tiller now and even shot it a few times today. still a little on the heavy side so i just shot with a short draw. but i was impressed by the design and way it shot.
anyway, after some shooting i unstrung the bow and found it had about 2" of set in it. but 15 min. later it was almost straight agin ?
 is this a sign of to wet a wood or does hickory just do this? is there somthing i can do to correct this. it shot good but maybe it would be better with no set?
i clamped the bow back up with some reflex agin and placed it next to my hot water heater . not sure what else to do .                                        any help welcome
                                                                            john f

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 12:03:16 am »
Well i dont know a thing about pyramids. But the hickory here in central ky. does'nt have too many problems with stayin wet. I should have a RH at least similar to yours I think. Most of my bows are in the 50 to 60 lbs range. What kind of poundage are you goin for?  Wet wood won't completely rebound will it?
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »
I like the looks of that one. I love my hickory pyramid. Shoots like a demon. I triple coated mine with spar urathane to help slow down its moisture senistivity. A hot box made of a couple sheets of insulfoam from lowes is very easy to put together in about an hr and a half. Here's a link if you decide to go that way.  Hope it helps. I look forward to seeing that one finished with a full draw.  Danny

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/hotbox.htm
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God