Author Topic: The Disgrace that is the Hollywood Bow...  (Read 4172 times)

Offline bassman211

Re: The Disgrace that is the Hollywood Bow...
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2021, 10:34:55 pm »
Ya the tertiary does ,but most didn't use it.  That is my point. Was the bow tested shot with a raw hide string, or sinew string, or gut string, or some other type of string? Many did not shoot sinew backed bows either. Maybe the majority.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2021, 10:40:01 pm »
Not that book . Brad's book. Brad what do you consider a hard shooting plains bow?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2021, 06:28:33 pm »
let me check my chrono notes and get back to you,,
I have a like 46 sinew one that will shoot a 460 grain arrow 180 fps,, its 55# about, so not 10 gpp,, but that was one of my best ones,, 23 inch draw,,
give or take, im going by memory now, im old and not as exact as I used to be,, ;D
I posted the results, my ugly bow, I think was thread,,

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2021, 06:39:12 pm »
We watched "Robin Hood:  Prince of Thieves" the other day.  It's a great story, but many eye-rolling archery moments.  My wife and daughter did not much appreciate my comments about same, so I stopped.  ha ha  Such silliness.  But really what did we expect from a Robin Hood with an American accent?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2021, 02:03:32 am »
We watched "Robin Hood:  Prince of Thieves" the other day.  It's a great story, but many eye-rolling archery moments.  My wife and daughter did not much appreciate my comments about same, so I stopped.  ha ha  Such silliness.  But really what did we expect from a Robin Hood with an American accent?

I think I prefer "Robin Hood :Men in Tights".

I grew up with Richard Greene as Robin Hood, A vastly under rated actor,  a great TV series. Several episodes delved into the making of and proper handling of the long bow. There is one that explains archer paradox and arrow spine very neatly.
The action scenes with bows were better thought through than almost any movie version.

Offline burnt

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2021, 04:34:20 pm »
John Scifres made the original Hunger Games bow.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2021, 08:42:41 pm »
"... Because no one else around me ever seems to care that Hollywood bows look & shoot like dogs..."

Some movies aren't great in this regard.
Some are.
Most moviegoers likely don't give a dang. They are there for the hype, actors, plot, and cinemaphotography.
Maybe photography techniques can be altered to make bow scenes more "WOW". Lacking implementation of significant recommends in that area, . . . . . .   (-P
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857