Author Topic: fungus or mold.  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

fungus or mold.
« on: May 14, 2008, 06:04:06 pm »
i have never had an wood grow mold or fungus...ever.  i have heard of some of you talking about it beofre but never paid much attention. well i have a piece of maple that has some "moldy" looking stuff on it.  i have watched in grow for about a week to determine what it is, question is, can i scrape it off and bleach it or something or... is it firewood now?  its a nice piece and hate to waste it.  what do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fungus or mold.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:15:01 pm »
The wood looks pretty wet. How has it been stored?  What you see on the surface isn't all there is...probably.  Split the log and see if there is traces of the fungi inside. It doesn't take long for fungi to ruin whitewood...as far as bow making. If there are colored streaks inside, save the wood for other wood working projects; ie knife scaled, turkey calls, tip overlays and handle risers.    Spalted wood can be beautiful.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 06:18:59 pm »
Thanks Pat,  if its not streaked on the inside, can is still make a good bow?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:57:51 pm »
ok nevermind...enough said...   its all the way through the wood.   but your right it is pretty, maybe i'll carved them into table legs or somthing
Formerly "twistedlimbs"