Author Topic: Prep sinew for storage- how?  (Read 933 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Prep sinew for storage- how?
« on: August 30, 2021, 09:25:19 am »
I have used sinew to back a bow but the sinew came ready dried. If he keeps to his word, I have finally found a butcher willing/able to supply bovine backstrap and ankle sinew. How do I prep this for drying?  Also, do you have to dry sinew, can you shred it 'wet'? Finally, last time I pulled the (deer ankle) tendons apart with pliers, seemed to work out OK with very little waste, but I've never processed back strap, is it shredded in the same way as ankle tendon?

Offline bassman211

Re: Prep sinew for storage- how?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 11:35:54 am »
Let it dry like a rock, and take a hammer to it, and pull strings apart the size of pencil lead. Same with back straps. It will get like a rock fairly fast. Put it in small bundles, and comb it if need be. When you are ready to use it soak it water in a pan in small bundles. Squeeze the water out of it, and soak it in the glue of your choice. Apply to bow back, and wrap it with gauze if you choose to.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 12:23:38 pm »
Sinew stores best dry. Place it where it can get good air circulation until it gets hard, transparent and an amber color. The leg sinew needs to be pounded and separated, the back strap can be pulled apart by hand as needed.
 I think you can separate sinew fresh but have never tried it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 09:49:01 am »
I think Pat M has a technique for separating sinew wet that works well, perhaps he will chime in.