Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Max spine at front or rear?

(1/3) > >>

Del the cat:
Normally spine is measured between two supports at say 28",and calculated as distance between the supports divided by the deflection. I use 24" (for convenience for short flight arrows), but sometimes 21".
I'm making a 32" flight arrow and have been looking at the spine using the 21" centres to measure the spine at the front 21" vs the rear 21".
My view/theory is that the rear needs to be stiffest, (which is what I have on the arrow I'm making) as the sideways deflection/force the arrow is maximum just before it leaves the string (point of maximum paradox... eg. a straight line from string position at brace past the side of the bow is angled substantially to the left).
Or putting it another way, the arrow is travelling relatively straight early in the loose.
Does anyone have have a view on this? Either for or against this theory.
Del

Del the cat:
I couldn't bear the silence as the Tumbleweed rolls across this thread, so I thought I'd reply to it myself  :-[ :'(  ::) ;D
Del (disappointed of Harlow ;) )

mmattockx:
I can't say about your theory, but the Easton X10 target arrow is weaker in the back half and is considered to be more forgiving of a bad release due to this. Since part of the challenge of flight is getting the arrows to fly straight as soon as possible maybe weaker spine in the back is the way to go?

Mark

Hawkdancer:
That might explain the rear taper on some premium shafts.
Hawkdancer

Del the cat:
Ah, some interesting observations, but is that because "normal" shafts tend to be too stiff, with relatively heavy points (opposite of a flight arrow), so the back needs to be weaker?
S'pose what I should do is make a shaft that can be reversed and try it both ways round  :)
Del

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version