Author Topic: Oak!  (Read 3769 times)

nailbender

Oak!
« on: May 10, 2008, 05:19:15 am »
  Well, we are kinda between jobs at work right now so my boss had a few of us out cutting some firewood for him A couple days ago. I made sure I was one of the guys with a chainsaw, so I could put aside anything that caught my eye before it got chunked up. Most of the stuff he had marked to cut down was standing dead wood, but there were a few living trees with a bunch of broken limbs that he wanted taken out. I was able to salvage these two logs.

The two logs yielded a total of twelve staves.

I was able to peel most of the bark off by hand, with only a couple of pieces needing to be gently pried off with my hatchet.

All of the staves have some amount of twist to them, but I think I'll be able to get most of it out with heat. Also upon closer inspection, I found that the outside ten or so rings were pretty thin with high early/latewood ratios. The rings get much thicker with alot more latewood deeper in the staves. Oak is a ring porous wood, so I should be able to chase one of those deeper rings. Looks like I'm going to be able to see what it's like for you osage guys.

Dale

Offline DanaM

Re: Oak!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 09:31:10 am »
I mostly likely wouldn't bother chasing a ring on it, but it will be good practice.
Nice haul and get em sealed so they don't check on ya.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline shamus

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 10:36:02 am »
There is absolutely NO need to chase rings with oak. Just peel the bark and go.

I've been impressed with white oak so far.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:13:27 pm »
A Big Waste of Time chasing them Rings....unless you have time to waste...and want to practice....Oak is perfect the way Nature made it for Bow...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

nailbender

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:16:27 pm »
  Here is a pic of why I was thinking of chasing a ring.

If you look at the rings in the sapwood you can see that they get very thin with alot of early wood compared to latewood. We've had a few very dry years around here and I think it has affected the growth of trees in this manner. What do you guys think? should I bother to chase a ring, or just leave things as is?

Dale

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 03:58:38 pm »
Dale...I would not wastee my time with it....with Oak...especially White Oak...it will be fine and dandy the way it is....but if you want to chase a Ring on one...you can send me one of the others....and I will make a Bow with the fine rings on!!!!!

::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline shamus

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 05:46:01 pm »
no need to work it down. The sapwood will make a great back.

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 07:50:52 pm »
as much i llike looking at osage hauls something about whitewood turns me on ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 07:54:18 pm »
as much i llike looking at osage hauls something about whitewood turns me on ;D

I know what it is.....Whitewood is an easy Piece...... ::) No work involved at all..........
2024...We Will Overcome

nailbender

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 09:21:42 pm »
  Thanks guys, I'll just leave things as they are.

Dale

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 09:57:22 pm »
 ;) ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI