Author Topic: Any way to shorten a string?  (Read 1584 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Any way to shorten a string?
« on: August 01, 2021, 12:14:03 pm »
I usualllt make flemish twist but for once I have made an endless loop string from linen thread.  I served the nock loops then shot it some but it has stretched a half inch as it settled in.  Is there any way of shortening it or do I need start again?

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Any way to shorten a string?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 12:30:10 pm »
   Just a few twists might work...I make endless strings from Linen myself and usually end up twisting them after they settle...Put about 15 twists in it and see what happens..
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 01:35:04 pm »
Like Don said.  If and when you do another continuous loop with the linen, you might make it a bit shorter tp compensate for the stretch.  I would assume that waxing will help some as well, but I am not an expert. string maker yet (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 03:33:36 pm »
   Just a few twists might work...

+1. This is how recurve archers fine tune their brace height and it works fine with endless loop strings.

Mark

Offline lleroy

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 04:18:10 am »
My longbow has a string that's also a cm to long.

Our headman at the popinjay archery club told me they used to tie a knot in the loop near both ends to make it shorter...

Mine is a dacron string an I don't think it will allow for knotting, but a flax/linnen string would probably accept a knot.
I'll stick to doing 15 turns before bracing it.

Greetings from Flanders!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 11:40:54 am »
I would recommend twisting also. I would be afraid that knots would weaken the linen fibers at the knot as they tighten on themselves. Maybe on next string try making a little shorter, then hang a weight on it to prestretch before putting it on he bow.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 01:38:32 pm »
Thanks all, I put extra twist into it, put a counter-wound strand along it to limit the string unwinding as the bow comes up to brace, tightened up the nock loops a little bit, and, its all looking good at the moment, will see what happens after I shoot it a few times

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 01:54:57 pm »
Leroy,
Off the topic, but welcome to PA!  Part of my family is from Flanders and Zeeland, may we are distant cousin.
 Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry