Author Topic: Osage billet questions  (Read 859 times)

Offline Woody roberts

Osage billet questions
« on: July 28, 2021, 05:37:14 pm »
I’ve started chasing a ring on some Osage billets I’ve had about a year now. Looking for a 64” tip to tip and 50/55 lb @ 26” draw
Does Osage work better thicker and narrower or thinner and wider than say Hickory?
I don’t know what type of bows I’ve been making. Almost a Pyramid but instead of a straight line from fade to nock it’s more of a radius.
What shape and dimensions would anyone recommend?

V splice in the handle. Should the open end of the female section be visible from the back or the side?

Offline Will B

Re: Osage billet questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 06:06:23 pm »
With Osage I would make it 1-1/2” wide at the fades and straight taper to 1/2” tips. You can narrow the tips later in the tillering process if you want after you have the string tracking through the center of the handle. You definitely can go narrower and thicker than you would with hickory.
Not sure about you question on the splice. Good luck with your bow!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage billet questions
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:24:41 pm »
 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide at the fades. You can do as Will suggests or go out a few inches first then taper to 1/2" tips. If the limbs start getting too thin you can reduce the width some, tillering from the sides.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC