Author Topic: Dogwood “Canoe” HLD, 42#/24” (No. 126) PIC HEAVY!!!  (Read 2803 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
Dogwood “Canoe” HLD, 42#/24” (No. 126) PIC HEAVY!!!
« on: July 25, 2021, 10:34:52 am »
The HLD cross section limbs are tapering into rectangular cross section at tips and slightly dished at the handle. This bow is incredible light and springy, by my feel a very good performer. It took no set at all.

Nearly no side taper, only at the last three inches at tips. It is slightly narrowed at the handle and the HLD tapers nearly out to get a comfortable grip, but it is a bendy handle.

The stave was harvested in April 2014, so I could get off the bark relative easy. Now it shows a nice texture (back is the first ring under the bark).

If you look close you can see the first two or three rings are more grayish. This stave was one of my testers for fuming experiments. It was in the fuming pipe as complete log, not split. You see dogwood has only little tanning acids and does not change the color much, but the nearly white back has turned into a pale olive/beige. Interesting is, there is a sharp borderline from the fuming – more days of fuming and the line would be deeper.

No heat or steam was used, the stave was more or less straight. Only on upper tip was/is a sideway bend – I tried to compensate with the single notch. Double notch on the lower limb.

Two big knots could be layout into handle sides, another one midlimb on one side of lower limb was unavoidable. I left it stiff and worked this area down at least of the tillering process.

The string keeper is a soft little strip of brain tanned leather, woven into the upper end. Handle is also brain tanned leather strip, twisted on belly side to get more material there for a comfortable grip.

ntn: 51”
bh: 5˝”
max w: 1˝”
handle w/d 1Ľ“ / ˝”
mass: 278 grams
symetric
bendy handle

max. depth of furrow is 7 mm, the wood is 8 mm thick there;
this makes a complete depth of the bow 15 mm;

08”: 05,2
10”: 09,5   (+ 4,3)
12”: 13,5   (+ 4,0)
14”: 17,5   (+ 4,0)
16”: 21,6   (+ 4,1)
18”: 26,0   (+ 4,4)
20”: 30,6   (+ 4,6)
22”: 35,9   (+ 5,3)
24”: 41,7   (+ 5,8)

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Tim P

Re: Dogwood “Canoe” HLD, 42#/24” (No. 126) PIC HEAVY!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 10:50:31 am »
Beautiful!

How do you hollow it out? convex spokeshave?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 11:41:42 am »
Incredible dogwood bow, Simon. Is it gray dogwood or Cornus mas?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 12:23:17 pm »
Ok, this one just blows me away. And after 20 years of bowmaking and hanging out with other bowyers, I can say this is probably one of the coolest bows I have ever seen. It has everything that trips my trigger!

First off, the tiller looks great. And that's probably the most important aspect after design. No matter what you do, no matter what wood you choose, if you cannot execute good tillering then you are just going to fall short. As for design, I really cannot speak a whole lot on the subject because I have to admit I do not know a lot about the aspects of hollow limb design and how they relate to the strengths and weaknesses of that particular species of wood. I can only assume the design and layout of this bow are very good, if not exceptional, because of the lack of set to the limbs.

Then comes the subject of fit and finish. The simplicity of the bend-through-the-handle design emphasizes the raw and natural look of the back of the bow. Choosing the soft and natural look of the braintan grip wrap only added to the aesthetic theme of primitive simplicity.

Lastly, the graphic design of the name of the bow burned into the wood is exceptional. Being able to shape the font to represent the object so simply is difficult enough, but to add the aspect of the waves of water lapping at the sides of the canoe was brilliant. Corporations and businesses pay serious money to graphic designers that can create a logo with this level of impact. I know, I am currently going through graphic designers looking for someone that can design a new logo for our non-profit and the BEST of them is mediocre work and wayyy above out budget.

Brother, you have a Hall of Fame bow on your hands. It is an incredible piece of work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 07:02:49 pm »
Everything you produce is stunning and precise. I always look at your work in awe, and this stick bow it the rule rather than exception. Outstanding work in all aspects. Putting the hld twist on a bow that could very well have been seen in the hands of a Native American pre European is stellar. Love everything about this bow.

Offline simson

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 03:26:05 am »
Beautiful!

How do you hollow it out? convex spokeshave?

I use diff. gauges, thick selfmade scrapers (rounded) and rubber pipes with wraps of sanding linnen

Incredible dogwood bow, Simon. Is it gray dogwood or Cornus mas?

Pat, it is cornus sanguinea. I think you call it common dogwood. It grows everywhere here, but more as bush - so hard to find good staves.

Ok, this one just blows me away. And after 20 years of bowmaking and hanging out with other bowyers, I can say this is probably one of the coolest bows I have ever seen. It has everything that trips my trigger!

First off, the tiller looks great. And that's probably the most important aspect after design. No matter what you do, no matter what wood you choose, if you cannot execute good tillering then you are just going to fall short. As for design, I really cannot speak a whole lot on the subject because I have to admit I do not know a lot about the aspects of hollow limb design and how they relate to the strengths and weaknesses of that particular species of wood. I can only assume the design and layout of this bow are very good, if not exceptional, because of the lack of set to the limbs.

Then comes the subject of fit and finish. The simplicity of the bend-through-the-handle design emphasizes the raw and natural look of the back of the bow. Choosing the soft and natural look of the braintan grip wrap only added to the aesthetic theme of primitive simplicity.

Lastly, the graphic design of the name of the bow burned into the wood is exceptional. Being able to shape the font to represent the object so simply is difficult enough, but to add the aspect of the waves of water lapping at the sides of the canoe was brilliant. Corporations and businesses pay serious money to graphic designers that can create a logo with this level of impact. I know, I am currently going through graphic designers looking for someone that can design a new logo for our non-profit and the BEST of them is mediocre work and wayyy above out budget.

Brother, you have a Hall of Fame bow on your hands. It is an incredible piece of work.

Hey JW, thanks a lot for your kind words. I'm glad you like that stick and the writing on it. I got the brain tanned leather from a good friend, he makes incredible good quality. I have sorted out my staves and put away all suitable for HLD. This design has a lot of potential and I will make some more for sure. Just have some on the bench.

Everything you produce is stunning and precise. I always look at your work in awe, and this stick bow it the rule rather than exception. Outstanding work in all aspects. Putting the hld twist on a bow that could very well have been seen in the hands of a Native American pre European is stellar. Love everything about this bow.

Thanks Morgan! I was searching for HLD ancient bows, but couldn't find anything. Only slight furrows on some examples of American and European bows. I think it was just too much work, a good hunting shooter could achieved way more easier ...

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 08:52:41 am »
Sweet!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 10:54:22 am »
Take it for a paddle!  Really like it’s simplicity.
1’—>1’

Offline lleroy

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 11:08:24 am »
Wow. Beautiful bow!
What diameter stave did you work from? (Always interesting to know for these high-crown bows.)
My hands are itching already to make an imitation of this one... I may have just the dogwood stave that I thought was going to be a bit too short to make a bow.
I made HLD from Elderberry in imitation from one of your previous posts. Very happy with that one.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 08:38:58 pm »
That is a really sweet bend Simson. Love how you kept your bend through handle and transition from hdl to handle back to hdl?  It looks perfect.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline simson

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 03:46:19 am »
Take it for a paddle!  Really like it’s simplicity.

Steve, I will check out, if that works   8)

Wow. Beautiful bow!
What diameter stave did you work from? (Always interesting to know for these high-crown bows.)
My hands are itching already to make an imitation of this one... I may have just the dogwood stave that I thought was going to be a bit too short to make a bow.
I made HLD from Elderberry in imitation from one of your previous posts. Very happy with that one.

About 45 mm.
Good luck with your project and let us see the result!

That is a really sweet bend Simson. Love how you kept your bend through handle and transition from hdl to handle back to hdl?  It looks perfect.
Bjrogg

Brian, that's just simple. The furrow runs through the handle with only little thickness increase and the folded leather fills the valley.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 04:12:30 am »
Clean, functional elegant, deceptive in it's simplicity.
I love it :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 03:18:33 pm »
Very nice!  Plus 1 to all the above comments!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 09:53:06 pm »
Beautiful sir!  Great tiller straight thru to the finish. I have made lots of arrows with it, but never a bow. Nice nice!  Cornus  drummondii.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:24:51 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ken

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 10:09:36 pm »
Wow I just registered and this is the first bow I see very exciting