Author Topic: Deer v. Goat Rawhide  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Deer v. Goat Rawhide
« on: July 13, 2021, 11:51:00 am »
Is there a functional difference between goat and deer rawhide for bow backings?  I saw a goat hide for $45 and a same size poorer quality deer hide at the same site for $70.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Deer v. Goat Rawhide
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 12:23:46 pm »
Like deer rawhide goat rawhide is thin and strong. Either will do a good job of backing a bow.
Have you tried our Trading Post? I just got deer and goat rawhide from members for a lot less that what you show.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 04:00:00 pm »
Yes, I had a deal worked out and gave the guy my address, then never heard back. 

I did just find that a piece of mega dog chew rawhide that I have had for a long time is actually enough if it is cut right.  It is thicker, but it is going on a cherry board so that is good.  It was cut to an even thickness, which is another plus.  I do have more cherry and some ERC that will need rawhide one day, so I'm still open to more.  :)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 05:31:07 pm »
Like deer rawhide goat rawhide is thin and strong. Either will do a good job of backing a bow.
Have you tried our Trading Post? I just got deer and goat rawhide from members for a lot less that what you show.  :OK

Where is the trading post?
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 07:05:50 pm »
Don, scan down to near the bottom of the forum menu.

Dog chew rawhide is very thick and unless you thin it it will slow the bow down from the physical weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 07:47:41 pm »
I like both, goat can vary quite a bit in thickness,, not so much with deer,

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 10:20:43 am »
So, I accidently ripped one of the cow rawhide strips in half yesterday, just as well I didn't glue it on, it was clearly not very strong.  It was very coarse grained two, which I thought was strange. 

Anyway, I do need a new set of strips for the trade bow. 

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 10:33:38 am »
I bought a goat hide off Etsy. I've got 2 or 3 bows off it already. I may get 2 or 3 more. I will try the trading post next rime
Don

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 05:52:34 pm »
Goat hide is great for bows, don't hesitate to use it. Deer, goat, pronghorn, and kangaroo all work great for bows. my personal favorite is kangaroo.