Author Topic: Self bows in the eastern world???  (Read 1600 times)

Offline elijahjmhutchinson

• Caveman Technician
Self bows in the eastern world???
« on: April 30, 2021, 02:17:19 am »
I have a historical-ish question for you guys? We only ever seem to hear about the composite bows used in the eastern world/ the mid-east and the eurasian steppe. I'm just curious if people there continued to build self bows even after the advent of the composite bow (which has of course been around since ancient times). It seems to me that composite  bows would be expensive and high maintenance for every tribesman on the steppe to have one, or for every Arab in the mid-east etc. Were composite bows just mass produced or more readily available? If there are any examples or styles of self bows in the east, what did they look like?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 02:23:18 am by elijahjmhutchinson »
Elijah JM Hutchinson

bownarra

Re: Self bows in the eastern world???
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 02:40:17 am »
There certainly would have been 'mass production' of hornbows going on. They lend themselves to being made that way. But of course selfbows and sinew backed wood bows would also have been common. Even 'mass produced' back in the day no hornbow would be 'cheap' .

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 12:58:00 pm »
There are records of bow type being seasonal in use in Chinese armies, with wood in Winter (I think) and wood/sinew and hornbow in the Summer as humidity levels and temperatures impacted on performance

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 02:13:53 pm »
I would assume that selfbows came about before any other type of bows were invented. Bows came into existence all over the world, except Australia, at about the same time and not necessarily passed along from one culture to another. There is a scientific term for this phenomena but it escapes me now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 03:08:25 pm »
I wanna know who looked at a pile of dead animal parts and sticks, and said, "You know what, I think I can make a bow from this."
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 05:12:19 pm »
I think his name was Og.  (lol)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 04:44:29 pm »
I think his name was Og.  (lol)

Haha... personal friend of yours Pat?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others