Author Topic: Hide glue or knox to sinew back?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline wstanley

Hide glue or knox to sinew back?
« on: July 10, 2021, 01:02:30 am »
I usually make sinew glue from my scraps, but I’m all out. My next choice would be to used hide glue but it sounds like if you buy it online there is too much variability in strength? Is there a reputable brand of hide glue that would be similar to sinew glue? And does Knox do the job? Which one is better?

Thanks

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Hide glue or knox to sinew back?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 01:15:17 am »
What I've used before on horn bows with 11+ inches of reflex with success is Fredrix canvas sizing glue.I think it was around $25.00 for a pound of it in a small plastic tub.I keep a variety of different types of home made hide,sinew,knox,and fish bladder glue around.They all work plenty good enough for me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 01:18:49 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 03:01:22 am »
They are essentially all the same thing. :)
If it gels when you cool it - it is strong enough to sinew back a wood bow.
Only once you start getting into hornbows (with their much tighter bend radius) do you need to startbeing picky about your specific glue.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 08:38:29 am »
The hide glue in the can in this pic is what I use. It came from Dick Blick Art Supply and is a canvas sizing for oil paint.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wstanley

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 12:59:19 pm »
Thanks all very informative.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 01:58:31 pm »
And does Knox do the job?

I haven't sinewed a whole bow, but I used Knox gelatin to glue a patch over a pin knot on the back of a bow and it is still there ~1500 shots later. I see no reason why it wouldn't do the same job on sinew as well.

Mark

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 05:33:12 pm »
I have used granulated hide glue from an archery supplier and Knox, I couldn't tell any difference except the Knox smelled better.

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 10:16:49 am »
I ran out of homemade hide glue in the middle of my last arrow build and I used Titebond III with impressive results. I would imagine there’s some shrinking action you miss out on with TB III compared to a hide glue or similar, but what do you guys think? Is it a decent substitute?
Bellaire, MI